Mobil 1 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 litre turbo engine.Requested oil is 5-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2.Mobil 1 AFE comes in a 0-30.Don`t hear much about this oil,what does everybody think about this stuff ?

Originally Posted By: scusemez28
Bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 litre turbo engine.Requested oil is 5-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2.Mobil 1 AFE comes in a 0-30.Don`t hear much about this oil,what does everybody think about this stuff ?

0w20 till the cows come to pasture. Depends on what features you are looking for i shoot for overall best.

Last edited:
why not run 5w30 AFE?

Either would work but why make another decision besides brand. Oil is easy nowadays. You really have to go out of your way to get a bad oil for the engine.

I would consider it if I were located more up to the North. If your winter temperatures are generally above -15C, with a few occasional drops to -25C (like I have here), then the 5W30 will work as well. If you experience harsher climate than that, the the 0W30 AFE is worth exploring.

P.S. a few manufacturers (Mobil, Pennzoil, Petro Canada) have 5W30 dexos1g2 oils that have outstanding cold temperature characteristics, they’re nearly as good as a 0W You may check their MRV and CCS figures and pick the 5W30 oil with the best low temperature flow and it will work great for your climate, while also firmly keeping you within the warranty.

Last I looked, M1 0W30 AFE was the lone dexos1 Gen 2 oil in that grade.
I haven't seen it in stores yet, though, just old stock with the dexos1 license.
I would suspect that this is one oil that didn't need a lot of changes for Gen 2, but that's just a guess on my part. I might run this oil next winter if I can find a jug with the d1G2 logo by then.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

0w20 till the cows come to pasture. Depends on what features you are looking for i shoot for overall best.

So yesterday I noticed you recommended not straying from the 0w20 that Honda requires because of warranty concerns for a guys CRV:

his CRV's warranty won't allow for anything less or "greater" than a 0w-20, book it, I mean, warranty book it. Nice try guys but good information for people out there with beaters. Op, I used a 55 cent per Quart oil or 1.55 cent jug oil in my 17 Civic and it has eliminated a grind I would have at startup. I would like to see any of these other recommendations actual fix quirky and inconsistent issues like this, I would vegas book it. Doesn't need any Euro certs, nor BMW not none of that.. but yeah. none of that. Just API SN donut and than it's own UOA and user "testimonials" stuff reported like what I just did.

But then the Chevy that has Dexos 30 wt requirements you have no problem saying 0w20 warranty be [censored].

You can be wrong but at least be consistent.

OP: use a Dexos approved 30Wt oil and follow the OLM and you’ll be fine.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Last I looked, M1 0W30 AFE was the lone dexos1 Gen 2 oil in that grade.

Yep, it's good stuff.

Originally Posted By: nap
P.S. a few manufacturers (Mobil, Pennzoil, Petro Canada) have 5W30 dexos1g2 oils that have outstanding cold temperature characteristics, they’re nearly as good as a 0W You may check their MRV and CCS figures and pick the 5W30 oil with the best low temperature flow and it will work great for your climate, while also firmly keeping you within the warranty.

Dexos limits the MRV to 40,000Cp while SAE J300 has a 60,000Cp limit.

So a Dexos 5W is definitely a good cold performer.

Originally Posted By: scusemez28

Seriously you are recommending the OP use lower than the manual requirement states ?

Are you providing the warranty for this advice ?

I suggest avoiding uber thin oils in that engine. GM has had it's share of chain failures due to a combo of thin oils and extended drain intervals. Not to mention the turbocharger is a high boost design, significantly loading the engine. Use the highest quality synthetic oil of the proper viscosity and change it frequently.

Last edited:
Funny..we must remember that turbos= SEARING HEAT. Then you must remember possible weak chain design. Then you must remember the possible bad effects of extended oil change intervals.

Easy for we BITOGers. Now think of the average consumers out there bumbling through proper oil change practices. Those poor engines!

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
5w30 brand of your choice, even winter temps u should be fine w it

Any Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w-30 or 0W-30 works fine here. OP should pay attention to required wordings in manuals - not recommended wordings. Manufacturers have allegiances with specific brands - much like Ford with Motorcraft. But use any brand with the correct Dexos / Generation attached to the manual, as required.

If the manual only states that a certain Dexos / Generation is recommended, then the vehicle owner can go outside of that box, without voiding any warranty coverage.

Last edited:
Yep, M1 AFE 0w-30 is good stuff for sure. I have used that and many other 5w-30 synthetic oils out there in very cold weather down to about -25 below zero and haven't noticed a difference in starting between 0w-30 and 5w-30 syns. Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 is also good to go in the summer as well.

Whatever you choose just make sure it's the weight specified in the owners manual and it's DEXOS1 Gen 2 approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back