Craftsman YT3000 Honda Engine Starting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2005 Craftsman YT3000 yard tractor that's been reluctant to turn over. Seems there may be an issue with the starter magnetic switch on the Honda GXV 530 engine. This switch seems to be the equivalent of a solenoid on other engines. It's mounted right on the starter. Not sure if it's a problem with this Honda part (31204-ZG4-802) or if it's the starter itself. The battery tested at 12.8 volts and when the starter did engage, it spun the engine easily.

The machine will sometimes start with no problems, or not respond at all when turning the key or make a single click without engaging the starter. The machine is out at camp and I'll be doing a bit more diagnosing when I get back out there in a few days.

In the meantime, I've been shopping around and have found a similar magnetic switch made by Denso part no. 053400-8510. From images I've seen, it looks very similar. Would anyone know if these two parts are the same? From all of my research, I can't find any cross reference to these parts.

The reason I'd like to know is because of the much less expensive price of the Denso unit. Up here, the Honda part is almost $200.00 CDN while the Denso is about one third of that price if I order it from the U.S.

https://urqualitysolutions.com/New-OEM-Denso-Solenoid-053400-8510-053400-8510.htm?categoryId=-1

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-31204-ZG4-8...&dpSrc=srch

Comments please....

Despite the name, that looks like a conventional solenoid starter like is found on many cars.

The solenoid both mechanically pulls the pinion gear up to engage the flywheel teeth, and electrically closes the circuit from the battery to the starter motor.

Troubleshooting consists of first checking the battery and the main power and ground wires. There should be battery voltage from the big battery wire on the starter solenoid to the engine block at all times, including when trying to start.

Then check if the small wire to the starter is energized when trying to start. If it is not, there is a problem in the small wiring: key switch, fuse, interlock switches.

If the small wire goes live, check if the big wire from the solenoid to the starter motor goes live. If it does but the motor does not turn, there is trouble in the motor section such as worn out brushes. Note that if the motor lacks continuity, the solenoid may or may not always click when the key is turned.

If there is a click from the solenoid but the motor wire does not go live (even though the battery wire is), the solenoid is not making contact, replace it.

Last edited:
I had the same issue on my Snapper recently. Replaced solenoid and starts great now. I had the one click and solenoid was under the ignition key near the steering wheel. Should be able to find a cheaper generic one that will work fine.

Thanks for the comments and guidance.

I'll be heading back out there soon and will follow mk378 diagnostic steps.

Will keep you apprised of what I discover. If it is the solenoid, I'll bring it into town and see of the local NAPA or other auto suppliers can match it. Not too keen on shelling out $200.00 for that thing!

I've troubleshot similar issues on other riding mowers and it was a safety switch not being satisfied. Seat switch, brake switch, PTO disengaged switch, etc.. It sure can mimic a starter, solenoid or charging system problem.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've troubleshot similar issues on other riding mowers and it was a safety switch not being satisfied. Seat switch, brake switch, PTO disengaged switch, etc.. It sure can mimic a starter, solenoid or charging system problem.

I've come to the conclusion that it's the solenoid/magnetic switch. Repeated turning of the key created repeated clicks at the solenoid then it would catch, spin the engine freely and fire. I'm now looking to find a reasonably price replacement magnetic switch.

It's likely a knockoff complete starter is available. This is more certain to work than trying to match up and replace only the solenoid.

Originally Posted By: mk378
It's likely a knockoff complete starter is available. This is more certain to work than trying to match up and replace only the solenoid.

I went to an outlet that specializes in alternators and starters. Found a complete starter/solenoid assembly brand new for $250.00. Already have it and will install this week sometime. Disappointing that solenoids are so ridiculously expensive and hard to find.

Further to the above.

I picked up the new starter and it's a new, not rebuilt starter/solenoid component brand named "Wilson" made in China. Just what I feared. The good news is that I didn't have to turn in my original Japanese built Denso starter and despite the failing solenoid, it still works.

Does anyone have experience with Chinese built Wilson starters?

Probably nothing wrong with it other than you paid about 3x too much for it.

Not sure why you are so enamoured with the original starter which is a type that has failed for so many people.

"Not sure why you are so enamoured with the original starter which is a type that has failed for so many people."

Because it lasted twelve years. Do you think the Chinese starter will equal that?

You're right. We pay far too much for everything in this country. Believe it or not, an original Honda (Denso) starter is $500.00 plus 13% tax. So, I'm not stinging too bad for what I paid provided the starter lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back