Why I Buy New Blades vs Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not connecting. Sharpening an edge on a full-size blade that just has rounded over is far different than running something (perhaps literally) into the ground.

I have at agree with JHZ2. I ran a lawn care business for a number of years and sharpened blades for all my mowers and they never looked like the ones in the picture. Those were abused and should have been replaced.

I'd have never run those blades to that point. Too out of balance, one rock or stick and that could come apart. How many seasons did you run those?

Are you mowing really close in sandy soil?

I don't understand. What does two totally ignored blades have to do with sharpening blades as part of a regular maintenance?

I have two blades for my mower. The one that is on it, and a spare which I sharpen when it comes off the mower, so I can put a sharp blade on whenever I need. The original is 10 years old, and the spare is 9 years old. Neither look anything like the pictures posted by the OP. Both still have factory black paint on them in most areas, and where metal shows, it is shiny. Even after 9-10 years of use and sharpening, they still have plenty of material left. In fact, a visual inspection would reveal only to the most experienced of us that the blades are as old as they are. And they still balance well.

I suspect these two blades came from a mower that has not only always been left outdoors, but parked over something that has constantly been moist.

Last edited:
I got new blades because I couldn't have sharpened these if I wanted to. These came on a 2015 TB Pony. I used them for two seasons and they were actually not cutting that bad considering how they look. It had gotten to where there was a streak of uncut grass in thicker parts of the yard. I was surprised when saw them. They were thin compared to the Copperhead replacement blades I bought. I didn't change anything about the way I mow so these were not the best blades.

The main reason I haven't sharpened my blades in the past was the lack of a grinder, vice, etc. I'll probably start now that I have those items. I think it's odd that the blades deteriorated almost identically. Most of the rusting occured after I removed the blades from the mower. They have been behind my shed for a while and there was about rained almost every day for a few weeks.

Last edited:
The deck is in great shape. While I have some thinner spots in the yard, it's mostly covered grass and no sand. I think the blades were the cheapest that could be put on to get the mower shipped to the store. I only paid $999 for the mower. It was the best I could afford at the time. It's been great with the exception of the blades.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What is a TB Pony? Is it a rider..... a push?... what?

I think he means a troy-built pony.

Troy Built products used to be assembled by blind people in Troy, NY. The quality was said to be superior. I have no idea where their products are sourced now.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'd have never run those blades to that point.

Me either.....

I always sharpen regularly....

But REPLACE them LONNNNNG before they get that bad.
I have never seen any that worn.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Troy-Bilt products used to be assembled by blind people in Troy, NY.

Where did you hear this?

I used to know a blind fellow in Grand forks, ND that rebuilt Jeep differentials. No one did a better job.

Try-Bilt now = cheap MTD garbage

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
These came on a 2015 TB Pony. I used them for two seasons and they were actually not cutting that bad considering how they look.

Wow............ amazing

ultra soft chinesium?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Troy Built products used to be assembled by blind people in Troy, NY. The quality was said to be superior. I have no idea where their products are sourced now.

Troy-Bilt was Rototiller Inc. of Troy, NY. Their rototillers were widely recognized as the best available. I am not sure about the reference to blind people. To the best of my knowledge all of the mechanical parts were machined in-house. A number of years ago that factory closed and the brand name was sold to MTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back