Anti rust coating for new mower deck

My 10 year old Murray mower deck just broke in half from rust. The engine is running fine so I gave the whole thing to a local small engine guy/tinkerer. Maybe he can salvage the engine and mount it on another deck. Mowers rust out rather than wear out for me. Is there anything I can spray or brush on the underside of a new mower deck to resist rust? I thought of Fluid Film or wheel bearing grease, but thought it would be scoured off by the grass. Would spray undercoating or roof cement give a wear resistant surface?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

For regular treatment, motor oil, perhaps mixed with diesel if you want to spray it (smelly though), or kerosene.

For longer term, Sunflower oil if you are not at all in a hurry. (off season?)
Boiled linseed Oil if you are still not in a hurry but don't have unlimited time.

Gets very sticky while its going off though. If you use it in that state I think a lot of grass might stick to it and be a pain to remove.

Once rust forms add a bit more veg oil and rub it in with aluminium foil, say at the end of the season. Builds up a good protective coating.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is keep it clean. Rinse underneath with water after use. The accumulation of wet grass will do a number on a mower deck. After you rinse spay the business side of the deck with WD40 or another spray lubricant of your choice. This thin film of oil will help keep the clippings from sticking to the deck and it will be easier to rinse off.

Originally Posted By: Rand
no coating will hold up. get an aluminum,magnesium, or plastic deck

Or thicker steel.

I've not found anything that holds up.. Even graphite paint.

Do you store it outdoors?

I don't clean the deck regularly. I had the mower exposed for oil change and blade sharpening last weekend, and noticed there's starting to be a bit of surface rust when I removed the grass. It's still got many years left.

I plan to do a bit of cleaning now and again and apply FF when I think of it.

I just bought my first ever Riding Mower.
I will most likely over-maintain it like other stuff I own (1977 Ariens Snow-Thrower).

I used it for the 1st time today.
When I got done, I took the garden hose and blasted off all grass under the deck.
A strong stream of water really removes the grass.

They do sell jacks to raise the front of a riding mower so you can clean under them better.
Tomorrow I'm going to try jacking up the front with my hydraulic floor-jack (used for vehicle).
As long as it's SAFE to jack up, I can clean the deck alot better.

I figure if I can thourghly clean off the grass with a garden hose, I'll have a good chance
of keeping the deck rust-free

Oiling the deck in the Fall before putting away would be good.

I have a 48" walk behind I bought used. I grinder wire brushed the bottom, Rustoleum oil prime the bottom, then Rustoleum oil paint. Cut my small lawn, 30'x50', takes 3 minutes, after 5-8 cuts, the paint is gone. If you think of paint then think of POR-15, it is suppose to be super tough.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
POR-15, pretty tuff stuff

I treated a heavily rusted machete blade with POR-15 and tis held up fantastic! It should last a good, long time on a mower deck.

I dont know if you fertilize or not, but fertilizer is the arch enemy of mower decks, including non ferrous metal decks. Cut before you fertilize. Make sure the fertilizer had soaked in before next cut. Cut only dry grass.

After I scrape & clean and garden hose the underneath of my mower deck, I paint the undercarriage with used oil. I dip a brush in the pan of used oil and slap/slop it on. Once I'm done swatching on the oil, I run the engine for a few minutes.

Amsoil makes a good spray on rust inhibitor. Its waxy coating might last a couple years and you would have to clean it up and reapply. Rustoleum on a new deck will work too.Hosing the underside immediately after mowing is paramount and help the mulching abilities. Avoid used oil as that will attract and cause grass to build up creating a huge mess.

I would not spray anything under the deck except 'oil' at the end of the season.

Wet Grass will stick to anything. Including an oily deck.

1) Cut grass when it's dry
2) Raise the front of mower to get better excess to deck
3) Hose any grass off with garden hose
4) If needed, use a stiff-bristled brush & water
5) If you use a scrapper, make sure it's 'plastic' so you don't scratch the paint (future rust areas).

I do my best to keep the under side of the deck clean and I also spray the deck with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector a couple of times per year. The mower is 15 years old and the deck is still in good condition. I would also think that a product like LPS 3 would also be good as a corrosion inhibitor for a mower.

My mower is 25 years old and more or less is never cleaned, fully functional no rust.

I guess a dry layer of grass and clay protects from rust
wink.gif

Back