Two large dogs charged at us on our walk tonight..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were they strays or was someone walking them? What did you do? Did they attack or what made them stop their charge?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Were they strays or was someone walking them? What did you do? Did they attack or what made them stop their charge?

They escaped from someones yard.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: dishdude

They escaped from someones yard.

Okay, but what happened? You said they charged you but didn't mention an attack.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Is it wrong to choose self defense in this situation?

Pepper spray ... at least that would be good insurance to deter a possible attack. You have no idea what loose dogs might do, so why not be prepared? Better then getting chewed up like some people do when attacked by dogs.

I have a right to walk in the neighborhood on sidewalks and public roads without being threatened by others or dangerous animals. A charging dog gets shot 10 times out of 10 if it doesn't turn around and I believe it will attack me.

It's the owner's responsibility to keep them out of the street.

Beat them, shoot them, whatever. They have NO rights.

Last edited:
If the owner didn't secure them and you are in danger.... do what you have to do to keep yourself safe.

If pepper spray will usually turn them around.

>>>> enter the bleeding heart dog owners that would prefer you freeze and see if the dog just wants to play before taking action. The poor dog is innocent. its the owners fault. Well the owner isn't growling and charging at me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
It's the owner's responsibility to keep them out of the street.

True ... but that doesn't do much when they are out and charging at people.

If this is a common problem I guess carrying pepper spray is a good idea. I haven't run into any strays charging us in the neighborhood, but I did get charged by a swan leaving a restaurant in Scottsdale a few months ago. That thing was mean! I outran it.

Officer, I was walking down a public street and two dogs attacked me. I pepper sprayed them to protect myself from harm. I have nothing further to say and want to speak with my lawyer.

I have read that Cold Steel pepper spray is very good

As the owner of a bad knee, I carry a heavy wood cane. https://www.lehmans.com/product/hickory-livestock-canes

A tap on the nose does no harm and may teach the furball manners. I love dogs more than people, but, they have no business attacking random passerby on a public street.

If the dogs threatened your safety and you know which residence they came from, be sure to file a police report. This will get problem animals/owners on their radar. When you file the report, ask the police what you are allowed to do. My bet is they will tell you to do what you must to defend yourself.

Dog attacks or threats you or family member put it down. If people can’t control their animals then take the responsibility to control them and if that means harm comes to them them and not your sleep well at night. I love dogs grew up with them and broke 3 dogs my self when i owned them

You have to do what you have to do to protect self and family. There are many many dog owners who are irresponsible or just do not care. I would contact animal control. Here where I live fines double for each incident of dog running at large. 1st offense $100 2nd offense $200 and so on. If the animal is vicious and attacks passersby,as in your case, then there are steep additional fines. Had some gangbangers who lived about 3 blocks from me and they had 2 pit bull rottweiler mix dogs. Not safe to walk near there. Once time one of them came charging at my Forester as I drove by and was lucky that I sped up a bit or I would have run over him, as it turned out he went headfirst right into my driver side passenger door and rolled away into the street. Must have had a hard head as he seemed none the worse for wear, a loud yelp and he took off running away like nothing happened. About a year later police ended up serving warrants on them and they were evicted from the disorderly house and the neighborhood was better off for it. If dogs are charging at you I would say report them to police or animal control, cities have laws and fines on the books that can be enforced, if not owners will face fines and be banned from owning animals if they are not responsible owners. Of course you could always approach the owners as well, but more often than not owners with dogs like that are probably not the approachable type and might be jerks and try and escalate things.

Greg, not sure if you carry or not, but shooting dogs in a residential area in city limits is going to get you a bunch of official attention no matter what the situation, might even make the news. Not saying don't do it but be prepared to not go on home like nothing happened. Since you're now aware of the situation having some type of protection makes sense and by all means report it.

Animal control was useless in my town. Where I bike I had the same pair of labs try to run my down about half of dozen times over several years 2012-2015). I made 3 formal complaints to animal control. Nothing was ever done. I had to wait until the dogs got hit by cars or were too old to run any more...that was 2-3 yrs ago. The police don't care either unless they actually bite someone. I even drove into their driveway once after one of their dogs tried to run me down in the street...but a car tagged the dog instead...it limped home. The owners still didn't seem to have a clue.

I carry bear spray (like pepper spray but way bigger charge and capacity). You might have some at a local cabelas or bass pro. Much more effective at charging animals than the keychain pepper spray. That said, on windy or rainy hikes, I carry a 10 mm (also available at a cabelas)
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back