Dexos1 Gen2 better for non-DI app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Like it says, would the secret sauce in D1G2 offer anything in a not DI engine?

Knowing one of the first responses will be the engine won't care, I know non Dexos is perfectly adequate but is Dexos a teeny bit better? If you're considering 2 oils should you chose the D1G2?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Like it says, would the secret sauce in D1G2 offer anything in a not DI engine?

Knowing one of the first responses will be the engine won't care, I know non Dexos is perfectly adequate but is Dexos a teeny bit better? If you're considering 2 oils should you chose the D1G2?

The fact that Dexos1 Gen2 offers reduced timing chain wear might be one reason to consider it, even for a non-GDI engine.

Would there be any drawback in using dexos?

My impression was that it was introduced in order to address some issues specific to GM designs. Pretty much like others manufacturers like VW and BMW do too.

Googling for these terms:

valve carbon build up ecu timing update

shows plenty of results suggesting that other manufacturers were able to address carbon buildup via ECU programming.

Also, if my engine uses a timing belt not a chain......

Originally Posted By: nap
Would there be any drawback in using dexos?

My impression was that it was introduced in order to address some issues specific to GM designs. Pretty much like others manufacturers like VW and BMW do too.

Googling for these terms:

valve carbon build up ecu timing update

shows plenty of results suggesting that other manufacturers were able to address carbon buildup via ECU programming.

Also, if my engine uses a timing belt not a chain......

Even with a belt using the modern oil will be beneficial imo. The antiwear components use to protect timing chains should be good for anything that moves. While timing chain wear was a concern I doubt that the oil companies have additives that just target timing chains.

A number of the oil companies have added titanium to their add packs. Maybe some experts could chime in and discuss if titanium was added to help with the timing chain wear issues.

How much effort do you think the making of these modern oils put in with consideration to older style v8's? I'll tell ya, ZERO. All of these oils are built with a euro stink for the gov't and their agenda of fuel economy, with full cooperation to auto makers who really don't want your car lasting forever feel me? Juts like everything else from sulfur out of diesel to lead out of gas to ethanol to lowering additives to everything else. The only argument is "maybe" those hearty oils of yesteryear weren't necessary. But since the people telling me this are the same jack wagons that benefit from me being a sheeple, I will search out the hearty oils as long as I can.

Originally Posted By: burla
How much effort do you think the making of these modern oils put in with consideration to older style v8's? I'll tell ya, ZERO. All of these oils are built with a euro stink for the gov't and their agenda of fuel economy, with full cooperation to auto makers who really don't want your car lasting forever feel me? Juts like everything else from sulfur out of diesel to lead out of gas to ethanol to lowering additives to everything else. The only argument is "maybe" those hearty oils of yesteryear weren't necessary. But since the people telling me this are the same jack wagons that benefit from me being a sheeple, I will search out the hearty oils as long as I can.

Nobody is going to change your mind here but using derogatory terms ensures nobody will take your comments seriously.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A number of the oil companies have added titanium to their add packs. Maybe some experts could chime in and discuss if titanium was added to help with the timing chain wear issues.

No expert. From a colllection of VOA’s on D1G2 oils Titanium was not too prevalent. What was common to all were goodly amounts of Zinc, Phosphate, and Magnesium as well as a large shot of Calcium and a smaller shot of Boron. Hope that helps. Might it have been the Magnesium?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

No expert. From a colllection of VOA’s on D1G2 oils Titanium was not too prevalent. What was common to all were goodly amounts of Zinc, Phosphate, and Magnesium as well as a large shot of Calcium and a smaller shot of Boron. Hope that helps. Might it have been the Magnesium?

No I meant titanium. I understand that magnesium is now the favored cleaner versus calcium. I thought the new M1 had titanium as well as Valvoline and a few others.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

No I meant titanium. I understand that magnesium is now the favored cleaner versus calcium. I thought the new M1 had titanium as well as Valvoline and a few others.

Yep, and they may, but Titanium is certainly not a requirement to get a D1G2 designation so they are using some other method to help the timing chain issue. Any one know?

If an oil has a Dexos spec on it, it bumps it up my to buy list.

Same as if it's got ACEA, MB, BMW, Porsche, etc. etc.

My car has done quit well for 14 years without D1G2 oil. It won't be a issue when I buy oil. I have bought oil for under $20 a Jug that are D1G2 though and its not going to hurt my car.

How much effort do you think the making of these modern oils put in with consideration to older style v8's? I'll tell ya, ZERO. All of these oils are built with a euro stink for the gov't and their agenda of fuel economy, with full cooperation to auto makers who really don't want your car lasting forever feel me?

Cars last longer than they ever have in history. If automakers are trying to make us replace our vehicles by making them not lasting, they're not doing a good job of it. My G37 is in better shape after 10 years and similar miles than the Town Car ever was, which was far ahead in reliability and build quality than either my 1984 F-150 or the 1983 LTD I had. Now, admittedly, the F-150 was treated very poorly by the previous owner, and there are outliers in existence.

However, and I'm one of those that falls victim to this thinking, too, these advances in emissions technology and the chemistry of lubricants and fuels are not counterproductive. I'm old enough to remember Chevy small blocks eating cams. I remember messing with idiotic, finnicky carbs. I remember lead "deposits" (i.e. sludgy deposits). I remember engines with huge numbers of cylinders and CID, and zilch for power, compared to today. I remember supposedly high zinc oils that didn't turn out that way when checked.

There never were any "good old days."

Originally Posted By: Garak
How much effort do you think the making of these modern oils put in with consideration to older style v8's? I'll tell ya, ZERO. All of these oils are built with a euro stink for the gov't and their agenda of fuel economy, with full cooperation to auto makers who really don't want your car lasting forever feel me?

Cars last longer than they ever have in history. If automakers are trying to make us replace our vehicles by making them not lasting, they're not doing a good job of it. My G37 is in better shape after 10 years and similar miles than the Town Car ever was, which was far ahead in reliability and build quality than either my 1984 F-150 or the 1983 LTD I had. Now, admittedly, the F-150 was treated very poorly by the previous owner, and there are outliers in existence.

However, and I'm one of those that falls victim to this thinking, too, these advances in emissions technology and the chemistry of lubricants and fuels are not counterproductive. I'm old enough to remember Chevy small blocks eating cams. I remember messing with idiotic, finnicky carbs. I remember lead "deposits" (i.e. sludgy deposits). I remember engines with huge numbers of cylinders and CID, and zilch for power, compared to today. I remember supposedly high zinc oils that didn't turn out that way when checked.

There never were any "good old days."

Well said Garak.

I'm the first guy to grumble about a new spec or a reformulation or the addition or deletion of a car model, but in the end, they almost invariably work out. If we go through life thinking the oil companies, government, and automakers are all trying to make our lives difficult for us in a giant conspiracy, all we're going to get out of it is needless stress, and none of it matches reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back