Top auto grease: Mobil 1 or Schaeffers or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a top quality and performance grease for wheel bearings. Something that not only performs it's function as a grease well, but also has a good add pack for corrosion, rust, etc. Currently I'm considering Mobil 1 Synthetic and Schaeffer's 219 (don't hear much about it here though). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fr wheel bearings and CVs Redline CV2 is the best of the best. Wether it is cost effective in your situation is another matter but that is not the question.
Just about any NLGI #2 will be ok.

Schaeffer's new 219 Synforce Green is the real deal. Following a long line of excellent greases manufactured by Schaeffers thru the decades Schaeffers 219 really really out performs in a variety of environments.

"SynForceTM Green is a extreme heavy-duty, multipurpose, aluminum complex base grease that is specifically formulated for use in all types of heavy duty automotive, marine, construction, mining, farming and industrial equipment that are exposed to the adverse conditions of extremely heavy loads, excessive pressures, high shock loading, exposure to high amounts of water, hot and cold ambient and operating temperatures and dirt. SynForceTM Green is specifically designed in these applications to perform better than a calcium sulfonate and calcium sulfonate complex base greases."

Schaeffers 219 Synforce Green

1.I really like shaeffer's grease but I only buy 1 tube at a time so its not for me.
2. M1 grease is very messy it doesnt leak out of my grease gun it Pours out.. this is in a cold basement.. Its much worse in a storage shed or garage..

3. I'm not a fan of moly grease in wheel bearings.. esp the 5% stuff.

The main thing is to make sure its the same base type as your current grease unless you are starting over with no grease and cleaned out.

I go for the easy to get grease so for me it's Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic. Both are really good and can be found at most auto parts stores. I agree Mobile 1 makes a huge mess so I buy Valvoline synthetic with moly.

For ball joints, tie rods, king and bucket pins etc I use the Schaeffers 238, for wheel bearings, U joints and other high speed bearings Mobil 1 synthetic, CV joints, Redline CV2, approx 7 oz per joint. These have been the go to products for years without issue.

Never use 5% moly in high speed bearings, personally I don't like moly at all in these applications. I am interested in the Schaeffer's 219 but have concerns about the % of moly and use in high speed bearings.
The aluminum complex is compatible with lithium complex so no issues.

What's the corrosion/rust/etc. add pack like in CV2? Does it use moly?

I've had Mobil 1 before, I thought it was just my junk gun that leaked so bad! But I want top notch grease for high speed bearings type of service, so I can live with some shortcomings like that.

Seems like all the suggestions except M1 have *some* moly so far.

Paragon 3000 by TRC. No oil bleeding problems like Mobil 1, high heat and water resistance, not too tacky for wheel bearings, and it is available with or without Moly.

The new Schaeffer grease may be a great option as well, I just don't have any experience with it.

Mobil-1 is great for wheel bearings, but it does leak out of gun, even when the pressure is released. Mystik JT-6 High Temp #2 and Chevron Delo HD #2 are other good options. Pennzoil 707L wheel bearing grease is good also for boat trailers, as well as motor vehicles. All are Lithium Complex based and I am not the only one who won't mix grease bases, even when the charts say they are compatible. I'm also not the only one who won't use a Moly grease in roller bearings---3%, 5%, whatever. The OEMs stayed away (except of Ford) from Moly in wheel bearings for a reason.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Pennzoil 707L wheel bearing grease is good also for boat trailers, as well as motor vehicles.

That is one I had forgotten about, but it is indeed a good wheel bearing grease that is fairly inexpensive. Same goes for Kendall L-427 Super Blu - not something I would use in heavy equipment or wet conditions, but it is a good choice for wheel bearings.

It took me a lot of years but I finally went through an entire tube of Mobil 1 Synthetic grease.

I still have a 3/4 ton with a whole flock of zerks. Canadian Tire doesn’t seem to carry it any more. Any Canucks know where I can source another tube of it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffer's new 219 Synforce Green is the real deal. Following a long line of excellent greases manufactured by Schaeffers thru the decades Schaeffers 219 really really out performs in a variety of environments.

"SynForceTM Green is a extreme heavy-duty, multipurpose, aluminum complex base grease that is specifically formulated for use in all types of heavy duty automotive, marine, construction, mining, farming and industrial equipment that are exposed to the adverse conditions of extremely heavy loads, excessive pressures, high shock loading, exposure to high amounts of water, hot and cold ambient and operating temperatures and dirt. SynForceTM Green is specifically designed in these applications to perform better than a calcium sulfonate and calcium sulfonate complex base greases."

Schaeffers 219 Synforce Green

Do we know how much Mo is in this? I assume it's submicron, and not MoS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back