Better choice than DexCool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to to replace the radiator in my 2005 Cavalier LS (automatic) and it runs DexCool.
-- 2.2 EcoTec.

Are there any better alternatives, additives or mixtures that might help out / work better than just straight DexCool?

I've heard Royal Ice is pretty good, but correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Just use the cheapest store brand Longlife coolant you can find. Its OAT based like the original stuff.

DexCool is great in vehicles it was designed for. My '99 has had it since day one. The issue with Dexcool is mixing incompatible coolants with it or not keeping up on fluid changes. Dexcool works when you follow directions. Some of the universal coolants like Prestone will say it's compatible with Dexcool. It may or may not be. I'll leave that discussion to the car owner and mfg.

Originally Posted By: GMWeber
work better than just straight DexCool?

Work better in what way?

I'd stick with a more widely used DexCool antifreeze you can buy off the shelf that meets or exceeds GM requirements exclude Prestone.

No All Makes All Models

No Compatible with Dexool

Dex is an excellent coolant, lots of makes using it or very similar formulas. No reason to avoid it anymore.

The phrase "move on and get over it" comes to mind regarding the Dex hysteria...

I just replaced the waterpump and all the hoses on my avalanche. Flushed the cooling system completely. I went with off the shelf prestone long life. I can get it almost anywhere so i won't have to worry about mixing anything.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Just use the cheapest store brand Longlife coolant you can find. Its OAT based like the original stuff.

I agree. I had a 2005 Saturn Ion with the same 2.2 Ecotec. I used an AMAM (it was either Prestone of PEAK) when I bought the car in 2011 and the current owner still has that fill with no issues.
Allegedly, the AMAM coolants are 'dexclones' (same formula without paying GM the license fee) but some people claim they are slightly different....I'd like to know the truth about this? At any rate, they're close enough in formula that you should have no issue using one.

Also remember that Dex-Cool is for sealed systems.

Systems with open flap overflow catch bottles are a NO GO for Dex-Cool.

I've replaced old Dex with new Dex (found a bunch of unopened gallons of concentrate at the home of an ex-employee of a defunct Chevy dealership. Clean system and distilled water has the Dex sparkling to this day.

When I replaced the IM gasket and rad in my 02 s10,I flushed and filled w Supertech all makes. Zero issues. Replaced entire cooling system in my escalade, flushed and filled w OEM dexcool. Works fine. I would stick w dexcool or even all makes, brand u like best or on sale. Even store brand will work. Most likely the last time you replace the coolant anyway

Problem with Dexcool was GM went to a different type of gaskets at the same time they switched to DexCool...

If you hate DexCool, and still want a long life antifreeze, try Zerex G-05.

It's a HOAT, hybrid organic, verses a OAT for DexCool

Napa carries it...

Hint: Fill your overflow talk to the “hot” line when the car is cold...
Air is the enemy...

Even our newest 3500 service van has an open overflow tank, not sealed.

All our Silverados use a sealed tank with a pressure cap.

Neither have had any issues with coolant, this despite the fact that the vans have a heat exchanger plumbed into the heater circuit that adds a virtual guarantee of air in the system.

Think about that. Take as long as you like...

I'd run DexCool these days where it's spec'd. However I'd use whatever was the least expensive DexCool 'concentrate' I could find. Wouldn't chase any specific brand. Last time I purchased it, it was Napa brand which is really Peak brand Orange DexCool according to the SDS.

As for DexCool itself, it was GM that gave it a bad name. Combine cheap plastic 'type' gaskets with non-pressurized recovery tanks and angle neck fill holes, a recipe for disaster. DexCool contains 2eha a known plasticizer, contributed to premature failure of GM LIM gaskets.

Also the angle neck radiator fill holes combined with non pressurized recovery tanks made it virtually impossible to fill the system completely, leaving air in the system. That lead to the radiator gelling issues seen in some GM Dex cooling systems.

Those issues have been resolved now, thus I'd run where spec'd. If you've been running DexCool in your 05, no reason to change now. And I'd choose it over any 'all makes models/universal AF' most commonly sold now.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I'd run DexCool these days where it's spec'd. However I'd use whatever was the least expensive DexCool 'concentrate' I could find. Wouldn't chase any specific brand. Last time I purchased it, it was Napa brand which is really Peak brand Orange DexCool according to the SDS.

As for DexCool itself, it was GM that gave it a bad name. Combine cheap plastic 'type' gaskets with non-pressurized recovery tanks and angle neck fill holes, a recipe for disaster. DexCool contains 2eha a known plasticizer, contributed to premature failure of GM LIM gaskets.

Also the angle neck radiator fill holes combined with non pressurized recovery tanks made it virtually impossible to fill the system completely, leaving air in the system. That lead to the radiator gelling issues seen in some GM Dex cooling systems.

Those issues have been resolved now, thus I'd run where spec'd. If you've been running DexCool in your 05, no reason to change now. And I'd choose it over any 'all makes models/universal AF' most commonly sold now.

All fine here except the air comment. I run GM vans here till something fails before servicing the cooling system. Typically this is a water pump around 200k miles or so. Never any issues with gelling or any other problems, completely trouble free. Non-pressurized recovery tanks and tons of extra plumbing with heat exchangers for truck operated equipment.

Since the introduction of Dex we have yet to experience a problem. Perhaps some of the generalities you offer as facts do not apply to some makes/models?

When it comes to GM angle neck radiator fill holes with non pressurized recovery tanks, speak from personal experience being a former owner of 1998 Gran Prix 3.8L. I could never fill the cooling system/radiator to the top with system service. A poor design IMO and in my experience.

It should also be noted that gelling issues is qualified as 'some' GM Dex cooling systems.

Thank you for all of the replies everyone....

Sorry for the late response. Been gone, dealing with a family problem.

Thanks and I will stick with straight DexCool.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

All fine here except the air comment. I run GM vans here till something fails before servicing the cooling system. Typically this is a water pump around 200k miles or so. Never any issues with gelling or any other problems, completely trouble free. Non-pressurized recovery tanks and tons of extra plumbing with heat exchangers for truck operated equipment.

Since the introduction of Dex we have yet to experience a problem. Perhaps some of the generalities you offer as facts do not apply to some makes/models?

Guys, is there someplace I can get an overview of this Dexcool/GM gasket thing and get up to speed? Two years ago I bought a '08 Chevrolet Uplander minivan with 90K on it. It's been well maintained (owned by the service manager of a nearby Chevy dealer) and I have a full record of everything that was done to it from day one. It's powered by a 3.9L V6 that's allegedly notorious for a head gasket issue... apparently due to Dexcool. Mine has never had any issues in that regard. At 100K, per the manual, I changed the coolant to Shellzone Dexcool a "GM Approved" product. At 120K now, all is good so far but I recently talked to one typically doom-and-gloom GM tech who said in essence, "Any 3.9L that hasn't had a head gasket issue at 100K miles soon will." I've been a dealer tech so I know how seeing nothing but the problem cars can give you that sort of a pontificatory attitude about problems. I don't believe that unquestioningly but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

I want to learn enough to keep abreast of this. My time for research is severely curtailed due to a Herculean workload, so some recommendations for goodreading matter from some of the esteemed experts here will help me hit the ground running... or whatever it is that old men do ( : < ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back