Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS Review

It seems like there hasn’t been much talk about this tire on here, so I thought I’d give my initial impressions so far. Previous tires were Toyo Extensa HP (came with the car at 45k miles) and I'm still using Dunlop WinterMaxx for the winter.

I was between the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3. The $70 MIR for the Birdgestones put the Michelins about $200 more expensive on a price of four and I decided they likely weren’t $200 better for my use. I purchased them thru a local tire retailer. They are all a pretty recent date code (0418). I’ve put about 1,000 miles on them so far.

The handling is vastly improved to the Toyos/Dunlops. Steering feels much more direct and it takes much more to break them loose in any situation. I’ve really been enjoying the “sportier” handling as I do tend to drive more spirited when safe to do so. Comparing these to the Super Sports on my 3-series I don’t think my driving would’ve benefited from a summer-only tire in this case.

My experience with them in the rain is a bit limited. I spent a while at highway speeds in heavy rain and they felt very secure/I didn’t experience any hydroplaning. It was fairly easy to break the Toyos/Dunlops loose on wet pavement. I never felt very secure with the Toyos, especially wet cornering. Just like in dry I have to be doing something pretty aggressive to start to lose traction.

My only complaint would be the ride quality. Bumps (both small and large) are much more pronounced than with either of the previous tires. I was expecting some harshness, but not to the extent I’ve been experiencing so far. It’s not a deal breaker, but a bit disappointing and maybe where the Michelins would’ve been worth it. I always felt like this car had a very good ride and that has been ruined a bit. I'd say the change is similar to when you go up an inch in wheel diameter. My family members have had the first and second generation Continental DWS and those ride much better (at the expense of less precise steering feel).

These are very quiet although create a fair amount of noise on expansion joints (going along with the ride quality).

Looks are obviously subjective but I like the look of the sidewall and these look a bit “chunkier” compared to the Toyos despite being the same size. The tread pattern is very bland especially when compared to the 970AS and even the Toyos.

Overall, I feel the fun factor of better steering feel and handling makes the rougher ride well worth it.

Cool!

I've had the older 960AS and 970AS on my 530i. Their winter capabilities were nonexistent. They did handle well the other 3 seasons, but wore out as quickly as my summer tires.

Looking at the tread pattern of this 980AS, it seems they may have improved winter traction a bit.

Dws or DWS06

the DWS06 are much improved without any real drawbacks vs the previous DWS.

FWIW I was very impressed with falken fk450 for the price.

also you cant really compare michelin tires on another vehicle.. maybe it would have made your vehicle ride worse than expected too.

The worst for me was the very tiny kumho kh16 on my 2009 elantra touring. Rode like an oxcart with solid wood wheels.(17" wheel tiny sidewall)

I'm pretty sure the ride wouldnt have been much worse with some UHP all seasons.. but I'll never know.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cool!

I've had the older 960AS and 970AS on my 530i. Their winter capabilities were nonexistent. They did handle well the other 3 seasons, but wore out as quickly as my summer tires.

Looking at the tread pattern of this 980AS, it seems they may have improved winter traction a bit.

I have a feeling Bridgestone took a different direction with the Potenza "all-seasons" after the RE930, the RE950AS/960AS/970AS were a thinly veiled summer tire with just enough siping to meet the M+S "standard" and sizes to fit most mainstream cars.

I recall having a set of RE960AS on an old car. They handled quite well but I didn't drive the car up to the snow. If Bridgestone did improve the 980AS in the snow, they might have a solid competitor to Conti and Michelin on their hands.

Just ordered these online and was wondering how you guys like these tires after 2 years?

Was hoping to get some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3, but these RE980AS have a special promotion from Costco and the price was too good to turn down. Really wanted a quiet tire and I'm seeing alot of complaints on road noise so curious as to how bad it is? I'm coming from some Bridgestone RE050's which although handle very well, were terrible for noise.

I think I had these on my old Jetta in 225/45R17. They have been around for at least 10 years. I remember they had good grip but did not last very long.

I have the Pilot Sport AS3+ and AS4 on two different vehicles. Great tires but pricey.

RE980 are not that old.
Maybe you remember previous RE960?
960 were not so good in wintry conditions but excellent in dry and wet.
980 seem to have more winter friendly tread pattern.

Krzyś

RE980 are not that old.
Maybe you remember previous RE960?
960 were not so good in wintry conditions but excellent in dry and wet.
980 seem to have more winter friendly tread pattern.

Krzyś

It says the RE960 is the Pole Postion RFT. I'm sure they weren't it those are high dollar exotic tires. Must have been another RE9XX tire I had back in the day. Replaced those with some Falken PT722 which were also excellent, no longer made.

Back