Rural King Synthetic Quality & Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a big Rural King store close by in beautiful Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I can't believe how good the oil prices are . . . better than Wal-Mart by several dollars. The full synthetic oil (all weights/grades) are $10.59 for a 5-quart jug!

Any of you have any experience or opinions on Rural King oil?

The key to Rural king being a success at the moment is that they are not listed on a public stock exchange.
They have an employee stock ownership program however. They run the business sorta how Walmart use to long before I was born.
Employers participating in the ESOP right now might make out very well years from now.

My thoughts about the oil? It may serve you good, but I'm guessing there are conventional oils that are actually better
like who knows, Castrol Ultraclean and PYB, which cost more. Just an opinion for which you should take with a grain of salt.

A co-worker bought a trampoline for his kids last week at Rural king at a great price he said. They have some deals.

It's been discussed a few times at this site. RK stores aren't everywhere though so a lot of people have never seen their stores, let alone heard of them.

I use it, both the full synthetic and the cheaper synthetic blend.

It's made by Citgo (that's who owns the Dexos license for it), and the full synthetic is showing up on the shelves as Dexos 1 Generation 2 (D1G2).

Currently, it is in a 2011 Ford Fusion SE 2.5 and a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
... It's made by Citgo (that's who owns the Dexos license for it), and the full synthetic is showing up on the shelves as Dexos 1 Generation 2 (D1G2) ...
So you can look up its specs (the ones they choose to reveal) on the Citgo web site.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
... It's made by Citgo (that's who owns the Dexos license for it), and the full synthetic is showing up on the shelves as Dexos 1 Generation 2 (D1G2) ...
So you can look up its specs (the ones they choose to reveal) on the Citgo web site.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10144.pdf

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
It's been discussed a few times at this site. RK stores aren't everywhere though so a lot of people have never seen their stores, let alone heard of them.

Someone with some incite working at RK needs to take their stuff online. Compete where you can and let the big boy fight over what left!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Umm, Rural King and Big R (it's sister store) have online websites.

Are they really sister stores? When I lived in Colorado, I refused to shop at Big R because the prices were horrendous compared to Rural King, which I was familiar with since I lived in the midwest. There were no Rural Kings in Colorado, but a few Tractor Supply stores started popping up so I avoided Big R like the plague once they had some competition.

Citgo bottles oil for walmart/SuperTech occasionally, depending on the region.

It's decent oil, but has just an "average" additive package.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Whats definition of "average"?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It might have an average additive package (it is pretty boring when looking at the VOA), but Citgo semi-syn (same thing Rural King sells under their Harvest King and even the Mystik brand is Citgo) gave me one of the best UOAs (7k interval) I had with a 300hp 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with the supercharged 3.8 (modified). That was 5-6 years ago when I did UOAs religiously, but I didn't keep the files unfortunately. That spoke volumes to me that additive package isn't everything. Anytime I'm at a place that sells Citgo/Mystic, I pick up a case. Lately I haven't needed it thanks to Autozone closeouts at the end of the year, but if I were in need of a cheap, good oil, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
We just got a big Rural King store close by in beautiful Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I can't believe how good the oil prices are . . . better than Wal-Mart by several dollars. The full synthetic oil (all weights/grades) are $10.59 for a 5-quart jug!

Any of you have any experience or opinions on Rural King oil?

You're so lucky! I have been wishing they would build some stores here in La. I get emails from them with their store circular. And, their prices are great!
RUAL KING, if you're reading this, build in LOUISIANA!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

No Rural King's here in the OK/TX region, We have Atwoods home and farm stores and they also stock harvest king oil !!!

I currently run Harvest King 10W30 FULL SYN in my Suburban and no problems

The single bottle Syn-blend is on sale only $1.50 each right now!!!

And the 5QT jugs of full-syn Harvest king was $9.99 a week a ago !! Best retail price I ever seen for oil so far !!!

Dave

Last edited:
Recently, I put in 4 quarts of Rural King synthetic 0w-20 into the GF's Honda Fit. This is the first time I put that brand of oil in the car and after an out of state trip and a lot of city driving I can definitely say the engine has never run quieter. It is pretty much silent at red lights.

https://www.ruralking.com/

http://www.bigr.com/

The synthetic oil is perfectly suitable to all manufacturer-recommended OCIs for oils that require those specifications. Citgo makes good synthetic oils, especially at $10/5qt oil changes! Your car on 5k-7.5k OCIs will never notice, but your pocketbook certainly will!

Well that is good but their shipping is $15.98 for two jugs ground. This would be a total just short of $40 I just got three Jugs of Havoline ProDS for $42 that included tax and shipping

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Are they really sister stores? When I lived in Colorado, I refused to shop at Big R because the prices were horrendous compared to Rural King, which I was familiar with since I lived in the midwest. There were no Rural Kings in Colorado, but a few Tractor Supply stores started popping up so I avoided Big R like the plague once they had some competition.

Yep, true story:
Rural King / Big R

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well that is good but their shipping is $15.98 for two jugs ground. This would be a total just short of $40 I just got three Jugs of Havoline ProDS for $42 that included tax and shipping

Johnny, not every company subsidizes its shipping by mining your personal data and selling it to the CIA...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Johnny, not every company subsidizes its shipping by mining your personal data and selling it to the CIA...

LOL! Good point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back