Help w/P1259 Honda, VTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping a neighbor fix a small problem.

1998 Accord 5spd. Has Code P1259, VTEC malfunction. Car stumbles ~4k rpm (VTEC not working it appears).

She said it appeared immediately after the clutch was replaced. I am guessing some VTEC wiring was not re-installed or damaged. I get the concept, but I’ve never worked on a Honda auto. What and where should I look? I googled the code and found this suggestion, but I’m not familiar with the engine and system. On the back of the head or somewhere else?

Check the wiring to the vtec spool if the wiring checks check the scree if clear replace the spool valve. Typical VTEC stuff.
As it happened right after having work done I bet they left the wire off.

i
Originally Posted By: Trav
Check the wiring to the vtec spool if the wiring checks check the scree if clear replace the spool valve. Typical VTEC stuff.
As it happened right after having work done I bet they left the wire off.

Ok, looks like i need to check/find the screen.

The work was done a while ago by someone on the cheap, so she’s not going to hassle them.

I found the solenoid, the wire was connected. I pulled it and checked there was voltage. The wire supplied 10.9v (enough?). I removed the solenoid, grounded it to the engine and applied a wire from teh battery and got solid clicks. The battery showed 12.51v after being driven yesterday, so no the healthiest but functioning. The spool valve is the assembly beneath the soleoid that on which it mounts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes the spool valve is under the solenoid, the solenoid controls it. Check the screen first it is in the spool valve gasket.
If its clean check the valve for varnish and sticking, clean with carb cleaner sometimes that will cure it, if it happens again change the whole valve assy.

What engine is this?

Last edited:
There is also a pressure switch on the valve, with a 2-wire plug. The switch is measuring pressure on the output of the valve. Right after it commands the valve open, the ECU checks if the switch tripped. If it did not, the ECU throws a code and disables VTEC until the next startup.

So the switch has to be plugged in, the screen clear (to allow pressure to come through), and the overall oil pressure sufficient for proper VTEC operation. The switch is there because if the VTEC actuators only move halfway due to low pressure, the valvetrain will be damaged.

Last edited:
This is the 2.3l four, sorry I forgot to mention that.

I appreciate the advice from you guys very much. I’ll take the spool valve off and clean the screen and try to flush the valve body with some carb cleaner and try it after that, and also check the voltage at that other plug. I did see that on the side of the spool valve.

I had looked around for replacements and wondered what was safe to buy. Prices on ebay ran from $35 to $100, much of it unbranded. If that one is really OEM, then it’s a great deal. The lowest price ones at RockAuto were $90 for a Gates (re-branded, I’m sure).

I didn’t check the power on that other harness; I’ll do that in a day or two and then likely order that part. The car is 20 years old and 150k miles, which seems about the life of these components anyway from what I read of how common failures are.

Last edited:
Ebay has plenty of great deals and a lot of scams and rubbish, that one is being sold as OE so any shenanigans and you can return it with no trouble.
Do not use any unbranded or that garbage from Rock OE only. I would have no problem buying the one I posted.

So I have to kick this up again as I am still stumped. Installed the new spool valve but have the same problem.

It took a while to synch schedules and get access to her car. I installed the spool valve and there was no chance in the condition and the same code re-appeared. I can think of three things:

1) the 10.9v noted on the solenoid is not enough?
2) the oil pressure is low (no warning or other signs of that)
3) new spool valve is bad? (I would think very unlikely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back