Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen2 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been using Ultra Platinum 5W30 for several years but the lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certification is concerning since I have a GDI engine with timing chain. Pennzoil has reformulated the Platinum 5W30 to meet D1 G2 and am looking at that to replace the Ultra Platinum on the next oil change.

Any user comparison of old PP/PUP and new PP D1G2?

Last edited:
Not a user comparison but I would suspect your engine will not know the difference and will run very well on the new PP. It is an excellent oil.

Valvoline now makes "Modern Engine" oils that are marketed to GDI cars. Supposedly reduces intake valve deposits. You might also consider installing a catch can on the PCV line.

Even though LSPI has been involved in turbo GDI engines, it may be prudent to run it in naturally aspirated GDI engines as well. Reducing deposits is one benefit of the d1G2 oils.

PUP was one of the highest-specified oils when your car was manufactured, and met the requirements at that time. It still meets all of the requirements of your engine, so I would continue to use it.

Now, if you buy a new car that actually requires D1G2, then yes, PP would be a great oil choice.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
PUP was one of the highest-specified oils when your car was manufactured, and met the requirements at that time. It still meets all of the requirements of your engine, so I would continue to use it.

Now, if you buy a new car that actually requires D1G2, then yes, PP would be a great oil choice.

LSPI problems were identified in many engines after they were manufactured and Dexos1 Gen2 was developed to address those issues. It makes good sense to choose a Dexos1 Gen2 oil for those applications.

The interesting question is - if you’re looking at wear and deposits only, in a naturally aspirated GDI - which would be better, a dexos1g2 or a C3 oil?

confused.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
The interesting question is - if you’re looking at wear and deposits only, in a naturally aspirated GDI - which would be better, a dexos1g2 or a C3 oil?

confused.gif

Pennz Platinum covers it all, no need to start switching oils
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
If I had a GDI engine, it would only get D1G2 oils, turbo or not
smile.gif

Totally agree. The benefits are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back