2009 Mazda 5 - tire recommendations sought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - I'm sick of the factory wheel/tire size (P205/50R17) our 2009 Mazda 5 came with. The great handling does not make up for the harsh ride, extra wear and tear on the suspension and steering components, and not being able to do a quick visual check of tire pressure. I actually prefer the winter tires - P205/55R16s on steel wheels. (Outer diameter and circumference are so close that there's no significant speedometer/odometer error.)

With that in mind, I bought four used Mazda 16" alloy wheels today, and plan to buy new all-seasons or 3-season tires for them. I'll continue to use the 16" steelies with the Nokians for the winter.

What brands and/or specific tire lines do you recommend? Bear in mind these tires will be used Spring/Summer/Fall only.

I've had several sets of defective Goodyears (separated belts) over the last 25 years or so, so they wouldn't be my first choice. We also had a bad set of Michelin winter tires (again, separated belts) c. 2001. The Nokian winter tires have been excellent. Presently we have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on the 17" alloys. They've been OK, but I probably would like them better if they didn't have such a short sidewall. That is, I might really like the same tire in 55-series.

We put about 20K km on the car annually. We typically drive at the speed limit, so no more than 110 kph here and 75 MPH on the interstates in ND and Minnesota. A lot of our local city roads are badly potholed.

Thanks in advance!

Great call stepping down to 16".

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, and Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS Pole Position are all available in the size you posted. I listed those in (rapidly) descending order of preference, but they're all good. Take your pick.

Nothing else worth considering IMO.

If this helps:

On the '06 Mazda3 in my signature, we have Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S+(as mentioned by Danno) in the size that you're talking about...205-55-16 and love'em in 3 season driving. They also do quite well in the snow however, this Mazda3 also has dedicated winter tires.

The P7's are very well balanced/rounded(no pun) tire. They do many things well although, in their testing, they do show to be behind their competition in the wet when pushed near their limits... Nothing we've ever noticed.

The P7's are a nice riding/quiet tire with great hydroplaning resistance and score high in The Tire Rack customer reviews and Consumer Reports Tire Testing. The P7's have been driven through torrential downpours in the PA mountains and were very confidence inspiring even at hiwy speeds.

Last edited:
I've read alot of good on the P7's. (I'm currently running P4+'s on my Golf and they are superb. And if they're anything like my previous P4's, they get a little noisier/harsher riding w/age and mileage.) One tire I would definately look at would be Bridgestone Potenza 960's. If they're anything like the 950's (thread pattern looks the same), they are a fantastic tire. Next set to go on the Focus. Good move on the 16" wheels!

I also had the Pirelli P4's on a previous car and I loved'em too.
Again, one of the best tires I've ever had which is what is keeping me in Pirelli's these days and the reason for buying the P7. I'd get either of them again in a heartbeat.

I have to add to the OP that our P7 205-55-16 are 91 "H" speed rated not 91 "V" speed rated. The "H" are probably a bit better riding than the "V" and both speed ratings score high in CR testing.

I can't say that changing to Pirelli tires is life altering however, they just go about their business without calling attention to themselves.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus.
laugh.gif
I’ve been recently converted to them based on suggestions in a different thread.

Otherwise, I’d suggest to stay within the Grand Touring tire category. Sports tires may have some advantages over GT but comfy ride is not one of them.

The RT43's are another great tire. I put'em on my wife's Lexus and they were great. Previously had G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread on the Lexus(smooth/quiet/good riding) however, the RT43's were just that little bit better(especially in bump absorption). The RT43 were not as quiet as the G/Y ACT but they weren't loud either. We liked'em and they're great in the foul weather & snow.

Originally Posted By: nap
Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus.
laugh.gif
I’ve been recently converted to them based on suggestions in a different thread.

Otherwise, I’d suggest to stay within the Grand Touring tire category. Sports tires may have some advantages over GT but comfy ride is not one of them.

^^^I agree however, Mazda's have such good handling right out of the box that, toning the handling down just a bit won't hurt a thing! And a smoother/quieter/better riding tire may just be the ticket for such a(IMO) firm riding & loud(er) interior type of vehicle.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I suspect you do not want summer tires.

Krzys

I believe that the OP is looking for less aggressive/lower performance tires for that everyday-ness as the 17" on the vehicle now are too firm.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: krzyss
I suspect you do not want summer tires.

Krzys

I believe that the OP is looking for less aggressive/lower performance tires for that everyday-ness as the 17" on the vehicle now are too firm.
smile.gif

Exactly! All-seasons are good for those Fall-to-Winter (late October/early November) and Winter-to-Spring (late March/well into April) transitions when I don't want to put wear on the soft winter tires, but might be ambushed by an early or last snowfall.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
My daughter has Tigerpaws on her 2007 Mazda 3. No complaints since she put them on.

I think I'd be fine with the Tiger Paws if they weren't 50-series.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Great call stepping down to 16".

Thanks! I even considered 15" as well, but think they'd be iffy clearing the rotors. I did find one size of 15" tire that would match the original P205/50R17s pretty closely in diameter.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I run GENERAL RT43 on my Mazda CX5 and are very pleased with the ride, quietness and rain performance. Ed

Our '09 Kia Sedona, bought in 2016, came with almost new Generals, my first experience with them. So far I'm happy with them. It's funny, they're 70-series, which I thought were so sporty looking back in the '70s when standard tires were 78-series. Now there's so much sidewall compared to modern "rubber band" tires that they look sort of like balloon tires.

Nokian Entyre 2.0 is what I have on my car. They are excellent at resisting hydroplaning, excellent dry weather grip, and have an extra load construction (XL) for durability on pothole roads. Smooth and quiet riding, and the price is very good for such a high quality product. I have 12,000 miles on them and they are wearing good.

This way you can run quality Nokian tires all year
smile.gif
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-entyre-2-0/p/25043

Last edited:
I know you had issues with Michelin's in the past but the Premier A/S may sway you towards Michelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back