2002 Chrysler 2.7 w/190k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
13k miles on the oil, with about 2qt makeup over that 2-year period. Water pump replacement and a few sensors here and there have been the only repairs other than normal maintenance on this widely-disrespected engine type.

Excellent, I have some Shell Rotella 5w30 T6 that I need to use up. Acutally have 9 jugs of it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Excellent, I have some Shell Rotella 5w30 T6 that I need to use up. Acutally have 9 jugs of it.

This says its RT6 5W40
smile.gif

Pretty nice report ! T6 proved to be effective.

I think the "disrespect" for this engine is mainly due to the water pump issues, probably bad maintenance oil-wise, and also probably because it was put in cars too heavy to get really good performances (this is IMO a non-issue, but...).

As a owner of some "disrespected" cars, I can relate that often just good regular maintenance is more than enough to have a worry-free ride.

This car has been driven almost exclusively by my 2 teenage daughters for the past 5 years, surviving some remarkable abuse. It's been broken into, had a tire shredded from road debris and the front lower bumper cladding has been torn off twice from likely high-speed impact along a back road somewhere. Definitely getting my money's worth out of this one!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Pretty nice report ! T6 proved to be effective.

I think the "disrespect" for this engine is mainly due to the water pump issues, probably bad maintenance oil-wise, and also probably because it was put in cars too heavy to get really good performances (this is IMO a non-issue, but...).

As a owner of some "disrespected" cars, I can relate that often just good regular maintenance is more than enough to have a worry-free ride.
Anybody who thinks these are underpowered never drove a K-car with the 2.2 (non-turbo) or 2.5-a 2.7 would be a LOT quicker! Just have to keep a close eye on that coolant level, that's where the disaster would originate.

It’s all matter of perspective...what you have driven before, haha !

I drove a 2,5 NA diesel Mercedes for a while...I thought it was gutless and slow...and then I tried the same car with the 2.0L diesel...and the 2,5 was fast again
lol.gif

I think torque and weight makes the biggest difference in the feeling you get, but for me the 2,7 is certainly not slow. Compared to the 3,5, it could pass for slow, that’s all

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Good results in a OCI of 13k miles on a "known sludger"....excellent! That's the right oil for the application.

Agreed. Unfortunately Shell does not make this oil any more. May have to switch to T6 5w30 to get that sludge fighting magnesium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back