Do you care what your lawn looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do. Some don't. Some are very serious about it.

I try to keep it mowed nicely and knock down the weeds. However it is not perfect due to a few issues.

Heck no better things in life to do like spending time with my wife and kids it’s just grass mow it trim it done.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Heck no better things in life to do like spending time with my wife and kids it’s just grass mow it trim it done.

We have a fairly large property (2.4 acres), and we do it together as a family. Works well, and gets the job done faster while giving the children a sense of responsibility.

To me, there's a point where the time invested in it exceeds the benefit. I stay below that point.

I keep mine the best it can look, without investing a lot of time or money.

I very much enjoy yard work and gardening. I love the look of a nice, consistent yard of grass. But we are out there all the time, as are our kids. So I dont like there to be a lot of chemicals. Im not going to weed & feed the heck out of the yard just so that its all grass. Ill seed any bare spots, pull some weeds, and I mow, trim, edge, blow away the mess, etc. Perhaps its more that I like small engines
smile.gif

For the front, I mow it, edge and trim it, put out weed-n-feed twice a year, and that it is.
I don't water it. I have a big blotch that is dead and slowly growing back from last year.

The back yard I just mow, and it looks better than the front (but does not get as much direct hot sun as the front).

I can appreciate a well cared for yard, but I do not want to put the time and effort into it. My neighbor on one side has a beautiful yard, flower beds, trees trimmed and mulch around them and such, she won yard of the month in our subdivision last year. Makes my yard look even worse, until you look at the neighbor on the other side, his is the same as mine.
She also has he yard taken care of by her brother, who is a landscaper by profession.

I do enjoy yard work. The smell of cut grass, nice and deep green color. Unfortunately my yard has some sandy soil so it loses water quickly. Dry summers wreck havoc on it as even watering it to keep it green is hard.

Yes, I do. My lawn is a mix of bermuda and kentucky 31 fescue, so it's a challenge this time of year to get it looking right. April and the first week or two of May tend to be the worst time for how it looks. Once the bermuda gets up to speed about the end of May it will choke out most of the random weeds or clover that has tried to establish during April. I have to be careful trying to spray the weeds in April because the products that target broadleaf weeds but are supposed to not harm grasses will delay the green-up of Bermuda grass. So I can't broadcast spray the yard I have to spot-spray the weeds in April and early May. By mid June and on until October I can get it looking like a putting green at the golf course if I fertilize and continue to spot spray any weeds that the Bermuda can't muscle out. Which is usually chickweed or clover through summer and into fall.

Yes--but not enough to do much about it. Raked and mowed, and not much more. Sometimes I wish I could resod a couple areas which seem to be more sand than topsoil.

I only water if I've put down seed. Otherwise, if it's a dry & hot summer, well I didn't want to mow anyhow.

I'm also a knocks down the weeds kind of guy. The mowed weeds and grass look acceptable, like getting a C in lawn care, but passes. Rotary mowers smooth all even.
laugh.gif

I have a black thumb from keeping the OPE going. My wife has the green thumb. I do the cutting, and snow removal and general grunt work. The lawn is trimmed so it doesn't resemble a pasture. I learned to keep it green by not cutting it too short. Today, I will cut the lawn close to the flower beds and spray garlic extract on it to discourage ticks.

Yes. I don’t go crazy, just the basic mow , trim, 4 step fertilizer. I take pride in owning a home and want it to look nice and everyone in my neighborhood does a nice job of keep the outside of their homes looking nice. Plus I like working and being outside

Keep the grass cut and feed it often … had lots of things planted but many tropical plants and palms frozen this winter … so have been replacing several with more cold hardy species …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back