Another OLM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you took an average car today with an OLM let's say a new Ford Fusion and ran it on a racetrack wide open at high RPM would an OLM have any idea of this kind of severe service and adjust your OCI accordingly?

Sure. Many items may be monitored that effect the mileage adjustment. Even if only fuel flow was the item...wide open running would gulp enough fuel to give you shorter oil life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
If you took an average car today with an OLM let's say a new Ford Fusion and ran it on a racetrack wide open at high RPM would an OLM have any idea of this kind of severe service and adjust your OCI accordingly?

Maybe Ford has a built in algorithm for that? Say a U.S. service member who has his Ford Fusion in Germany and pegs it on the Autobahn.

Nor sure that there's a NASCAR mod on OLM, but what's the OCI of a NASCAR anyway ?

15,000 miles ?

Are we assuming a 0W20 with the best basestocks, and most shear stable polymers at a Walmart supertech price ?

Are we assuming that the VM polymers create an oil that thickens with temperature ?

or are we just pie in the skying ????

Who uses their OLM anyway.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
lol.gif

Me :), though it's set up for conventional oil (I phoned GM Canada when I bought the car) and I use Mobil 1. Occasionally I reset it and continue on before dumping the old oil (but not in winter).

The OLM appears to be accurate. It winds down faster in winter than it does in summer. A few summers ago it registered in the 20-per-cent range after about 1,500 kilometres of city and country driving, then a trip to Vancouver and back to Winnipeg — 4,600 kilometres return, plus driving in Vancouver. It wound down to zero per cent at almost 12,000 kilometres (calibrated for dino, as mentioned).

Without the OLM I would have changed the oil long before. I was tempted not to, but figured what the hey.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
lol.gif

GM put it in the Colorado, and specced Dexos 2...so I use it.

First OCI it pulled up stumps at 10,400km (first "owner" did lots of short trips), this time it's heading out to 16,000km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back