2016 Ford 3.5EB ~9.5K miles castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same drill 5qt's 0w40 and 1 qt 0w30. Not to much towing this round. One difference is I used way more 93 octane this round. Perhaps this helped with dilution?

UOA will slow down on this truck because my dad drives it now. he puts way less miles than me.

16097L01987-E-I-802611-Sev1-001.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Where would the Manganese come from?

I think it comes from the fuel, but I am not 100% sure on that

Interesting how, with all that fuel dilution in the history, KV100 never dipped into 30-weight land. Impressive really. Tells me Castrol has stable VII chemicals that don't shear away like Mobil1 0w40 is suspected of. Smart going to a slightly thicker oil with that fuel dilution problem; It's hanging in there quite well for you.

They should do what Blackstone does and have "Universal Averages" for that engine so we can see if the iron wear and others are too high or not. I think yours is right where it should be or better though, although one would need to look up a Blackstone UOA to get the fleet averages for that engine.

Did you do anything different with the truck this time around before changingn the oil? Like ran the engine good before e the drain?

Originally Posted By: Onug
Did you do anything different with the truck this time around before changingn the oil? Like ran the engine good before e the drain?

Some people will never admit the fact that excellent UOAs are achievable with the right oil at 10k OCIs in these F150 ecoboosts.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc

Some people will never admit the fact that excellent UOAs are achievable with the right oil at 10k OCIs in these F150 ecoboosts.

Is that a hack at me or a general comment? The reason I asked my question because I’m working on a theory for the fuel dilution we see in these motors.

The only difference I am sure I did was use more 93 octane. I always take the truck for a drive before I change my oil.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

The only difference I am sure I did was use more 93 octane. I always take the truck for a drive before I change my oil.

Bummer...but thanks for the info.

Is that a hack at me or a general comment? The reason I asked my question because I’m working on a theory for the fuel dilution we see in these motors.

BeerCan's UOAs are prove fuel dilution is a non issue in these F150 ecoboosts yet some can't fathom extending OCI past 5k. You've raised concerns on several ecoboost UOAs in the past and your theory is debunked. 10 OCIs are the norm....join the club!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I always tell people with turbo engines, FORD, Mazda, whatever, stick to Euro oils!

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

Perhaps running the 93 allowed the ECU to advance timing to optimal performance levels resulting in more efficiency and less dilution ( than the folks that just put 87 in them and short trip and idle them to death).

I always tell people with turbo engines, FORD, Mazda, whatever, stick to Euro oils!

Very good advice! At minimum a oil meeting dexos gen2 spec.

BeerCan's UOAs are prove fuel dilution is a non issue in these F150 ecoboosts yet some can't fathom extending OCI past 5k. You've raised concerns on several ecoboost UOAs in the past and your theory is debunked. 10 OCIs are the norm....join the club!

LOL... I’ve never said 10k mile oil runs are not achievable. There are a number of UOAs here on the forum to prove that. I was more asking around fuel dilution and it’s possible effects. Two entirely separate things.

Very good advice! At minimum a oil meeting dexos gen2 spec.

Dexos is not on par with MB 229.5, BMW LL01, etc. It is thinner, has higher NOACK, etc.
If I had Ecoboost engine Castrol 0W40 would be my choice. Now if people are concerned that it is too thick, Mobil1 0W40 FS has HTHS 3.6 compared to Castrol 0W40 that has 3.7.
Option is also Castrol 0W30 European Formula with HTHS of 3.58 available on Amazon. But it is expensive compare to Castrol and Mobil1 0W40 available readily in Wal Mart.

Always love your UOA posts, really shows that the ecoboost can handle normal intervals in a world where everyone seems scared to follow their manual or IOLM. Sad that there wont be many UOA's done on it from now on. Are you driving something else that will be getting some miles on it? And some UOA's?

Good results. I have been reading about some direct injection engines that appear to have less fuel dilution when using higher octane fuels. The theory is that when using lower octane fuels there is a real risk of pre ignition under certain conditions. The ECM adjusts for the lower octane and makes the fuel mixture a little richer resulting in more unburnt fuel. Perhaps this UOA supports the theory.

Thanks for posting your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back