Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving towards a common oil for all our vehicles: Here's some information on each, including the current oil used on each: 1: 2015 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel, currently on Motorcraft 15W-40 Diesel mineral oil; 2. 2015 Subaru Forester Turbo, currently on 5W-30 Mobil-1; 3. 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 2.7 Liter 4 cly.,-recently changed to Mobil-1 TDT 5W-40; 4. 1996 Toyota Camry V-6 345,000 miles - Mobil-1 TDT 5W-40, 5. 2006 Kubota Diesel tractor - currently on Chevron Delo 400 diesel oil; 6. 1951 Plymouth - 5W-40 M-1 TDT; and 7. 1949 Dodge 3/4 ton - M-i TDT 5W-40; and our many mowers, generators, power washers and other air cooled engines run on the various viscosities of old Mobil-I I have in stock ranging from 0W-30 to 15W-50, and they all run very smooth on it.
Finally my question: If I get ALL 7 of the above on one common oil and viscosity, would the Mobil-1 TDT 5W40 be about as good as I could do? I notice it is certified for use in both diesels and gas engines.

Last edited:
I can't comment on what would be the best, but Chevron Delo 400 XSP Synthetic 5W40 also carries the API SN rating for service in gasoline engines. It costs less too.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I can't comment on what would be the best, but Chevron Delo 400 XSP Synthetic 5W40 also carries the API SN rating for service in gasoline engines. It costs less too.

Yes, this! A thousand posts lament the loss of SN rating on Rotella T6 and nobody seems to know this SN Delo Syn exisists

I would keep the Forester seperate with 5-30 but go ahead with the TDT with everything else, or buy a SN rated 5-40 HDEO on sale, or save even more by buying by the pail and using the Mobil rebate. Mobil Delvac 1 will be SN rated when the new stock arrives.

Last edited:
Does delo or tdt meet the Ford spec for the 6.7? I couldn't find anything that says they did.

I cast a vote for Rotella T5 10w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Yes, this! A thousand posts lament the loss of SN rating on Rotella T6 and nobody seems to know this SN Delo Syn exisists

My T6 in the sump still has an SN rating, along with CK-4.

Originally Posted By: Garak

My T6 in the sump still has an SN rating, along with CK-4.

5W-30? As in the title of the post...we are talking 5W-40, TDT, Delo, etc.

IIRC ... Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is around 30% PAO and 12 TBN … and seems Mobil has to be careful not to compete with Mobil on approvals … but know folks who run in new PSD’s regardless … couple times a year Walmart will have on sale but expensive when it’s not …

5W-30? As in the title of the post...we are talking 5W-40, TDT, Delo, etc.

True, but it still has a whack of diesel OEM approvals. Nonetheless, let's look at Rotella T6 5w-40 CK-4 (or any HDEO 5w-40 that recently lost gasoline certifications). If an E7, E9 5w-40 HDEO was suitable for your gasoline engine a few months ago, what makes that E7, E9 lubricant unsuitable for the same gasoline engine a few months later?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
IIRC ... Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is around 30% PAO and 12 TBN … and seems Mobil has to be careful not to compete with Mobil on approvals … but know folks who run in new PSD’s regardless … couple times a year Walmart will have on sale but expensive when it’s not …

PAOs aren’t listed on the new SDS for D1. It says it’s group III and GTL bases now. TBN is now 12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back