Is Speedway Killing Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Speedway Killing Mobil......I just stopped into a Mobil Gas Station and immediately had to come to a stop and move slowly thru all of the pot holes... it was ridiculous. Then while pumping gas I also noticed the overhead structure was deteriorating. I always thought of Mobil having Top Tier gas and stations that were in top shape. Are these stations independently owned and get a cut from Mobil to sell there gas or how does that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speedway does have a rep for squeezing out the competition in the Midwest. They also like to randomly jump their price by 30 cents overnight.

I think all Mobil stations are jobbers, like Exxon & Marathon (no company ownned stations). Speedway is the opposite. Speedway is not having an effect directly anyway in my area due to complete lack of retail presence. That may change with the MPC buyout of Andeavor (former Tesoro).

Last edited:
Ah, no.
Speedway is a huge chain in the eastern half of the country and is dominant enough in many markets to be the price leader.
It certainly is around here.
You can't throw a rock in this part of the country without hitting a Speedway station.

You haven't seen some of the Speedways around me, I should post pictures. They're not running anybody out of business here. Most of the Mobils, BPs, Marathons and Shells around here are independents-for example, BP can range from a brand new station to an ancient Indian ran ex-corporate disaster area that hasn't had anything updated in 20 years.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Speedway does have a rep for squeezing out the competition in the Midwest. They also like to randomly jump their price by 30 cents overnight.
That's the Greedway we know and love HATE-beware 10 AM on Tuesday & Thursday morning, they'll jack up the price of their ethanol overdosed vehicle urine by 40-50 cents/gallon for no reason. Then the race is on to buy it somewhere else before the other stations all match them. This is their glory season, too-from now 'till Memorial Day it'll go up by a DOLLAR.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
So to be clear, is Speedway a service station franchise that sells Mobil fuels?
Speedway actually sells Marathon gas, they're owned & operated by Marathon Petroleum as a downstream/retail outlet.

Last edited:
Although owned by Marathon Petroleum Company, Speedway branded gasoline is not Top Tier, Marathon gasoline is Top Tier, so it's not exactly the same. Different additive package / treat rates.

Now that Speedway took over Hess out here we have quite a few and they usually have the lowest gas prices. I traveled through Ohio on work for 16 years and always liked Speedway coffee and would buy my Grizzly long cut. Can’t tell you how many free krispy kreme donuts and other free stuff I got with my speedy points

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Is Speedway Killing Mobil......I just stopped into a Mobil Gas Station and immediately had to come to a stop and move slowly thru all of the pot holes... it was ridiculous. Then while pumping gas I also noticed the overhead structure was deteriorating. I always thought of Mobil having Top Tier gas and stations that were in top shape. Are these stations independently owned and get a cut from Mobil to sell there gas or how does that work?

I believe Mobil sold out their gas stations, they're all independently owned and they're getting killed as they have to buy Mobil gas and they're priced higher. There's really no reason to buy gas at Mobil. I just get gas at BJ's or Costco or use gasbuddy to find the cheapest gas in the area. It all comes off the same tanker in my area, only difference is the additive package. That just goes to show you how far branding will get you.

We have Corp Mobil stations out here ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We have Corp Mobil stations out here ...
laugh.gif

That would be really interesting if true considering they were all sold 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Although owned by Marathon Petroleum Company, Speedway branded gasoline is not Top Tier, Marathon gasoline is Top Tier, so it's not exactly the same. Different additive package / treat rates.

Thanks for clarifying that. Didn't think Speedway was top tier.

Speedway bought out Hess gas which had bought out Wilco gas here. No Mobil stations around here, Exxon at places like Circle K convenience. Doesn't seem to hurt them. And my favorite QuikTrip (QT) with top tier gas seems to be doing fine. Hope that doesn't change.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: eljefino
That's the Greedway we know and love HATE-beware 10 AM on Tuesday & Thursday morning, they'll jack up the price of their ethanol overdosed vehicle urine by 40-50 cents/gallon for no reason. Then the race is on to buy it somewhere else before the other stations all match them. This is their glory season, too-from now 'till Memorial Day it'll go up by a DOLLAR.

Yep, Speedway is the local price setter so when their locations raise prices it's wise to buy fuel from others before they match Speedway's prices.

Tons of Speedways where I live. They set prices for others.

Seems to me many of these other gas stations are owned by foreign people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back