Industry Experts Here At BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an age old saying in the auto industry that, "Without data, all you have is an opinion." William Deming was the one who supposedly said it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Karl Benz gave a similar sharp Germanic response to one of his co-engineers way back in the day.

Related to that, I'm wondering how many experts we really have here at BITOG? Those of us who spend our lives as chemical engineers, powertrain developers, and inventors of tools and technologies that generally involve motors and motor oil.

I am not looking for name and rank. Just curious who is out there and what you do as your day job.

Applied, was interviewed, and accepted by Ford (Australia) as a powertrain engineer in 1990/91.

They had a restructure going at the same time, and the whiz fiz fizzled, when they sacked a bunch of blue collar workers at the same time as they were offering graduate jobs...Grad jobs died.

LOLing that they were offering a Ford Corsair for $15 a week lease.

Been mech eng since 1989 (graduated 1991), trainee naval architect (Oz DoD) before that.

Worked my way through college, went to 4 different institutions across a 10 year period when unemployment in South Texas was up to 20% - 25% when oil prices crashed during that decade. Worked marine custody transfer inspection starting Fall 1986 as PPC Inspector (Petroleum, Petrochemicals, and Crude) ranging from Brownsville, TX to Taft, LA (west bank) / Norco LA (east bank). Graduated Spring 1990 Bachelors in Chemical Engineering, worked in petroleum refining and petrochemicals including a process oils unit from straight out of school until my health forced my retirement in Oct 2012. I never formulated a fully packaged lubricating oil though, just profuction of base stocks of the time. Most my knowledge & experience is in motor fuels and petrochemicals.

You professional bourgeois can go fly a kite!

I want to take this opportunity to thank the real industry experts on this forum. The Critic, Trav, clinebarger and everyone's favorite parts dude, bcardinal. I know I am forgetting at least one, there are many.

40+ years developing, applying, supporting and troubleshooting the full range of lubricants required for process plants, mobile equipment and large excavators (walking draglines, electric rope shovels and hydraulic excavators) for the international mining and cement industries.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
You professional bourgeois can go fly a kite!
I want to take this opportunity to thank the real industry experts on this forum. The Critic, Trav, clinebarger and everyone's favorite parts dude, bcardinal. I know I am forgetting at least one, there are many.

I remember my electrician FIL telling me that engineers were all stupid and didn't know a (darn) thing.

That was just as ridiculous and also made me laugh and shake my head.

most like myself have opinions from reading, but those like Mola who really know are truely great for this forum + its members!!! a big thanks to all the pros that take time to teach us learners!!!

There is such a thing as an educated "expert" who doesn't really know the field, but as always it's about who you are talking to. Some know it and some don't, and as a layman you need to do your due diligence to figure out who is what. Plus most motor oil and lubrication issues are not terribly difficult to understand, so an expert opinion, although it may be valuable, often simply isn't needed.

Some people simply believe all Oil Companies are liars crooks and charlatans, those people are not likely to be much help but they are vocal. Plus the lubrication field does have some actual liars, crooks and charlatans. But in the end the majors are actually trying to help customers so you need to listen to them.

Not just for oil and lubricants, but for everything, some people can't discern fact from opinion; ie they will claim someone is offering an opinion when they are offering facts. You can't change facts by disagreeing with them.

First 5 years of my career were spent designing gearboxes and power transmission for off highway equipment. Last twelve years have been in hydraulic machine control and hydraulic powertrains of off highway equipment. I currently lead an applied R&D team creating off highway vehicle systems (hydraulically focused, but expanding into other areas).

Originally Posted By: RDMgr
40+ years developing, applying, supporting and troubleshooting the full range of lubricants required for process plants, mobile equipment and large excavators (walking draglines, electric rope shovels and hydraulic excavators) for the international mining and cement industries.

Impressive!
Not your career, although that's also of note ...
15 posts since 2009 - now THAT's self control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back