One Oil, Two Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an enthusiastic reader of the forum, rarely post, but I love the information I learn. I have a dilemma and wanted to run it by the forum. I have two vehicles and want to buy just one oil, if possible.

Location: Phoenix, AZ so its hot and its dusty (especially during monsoon season)

Vehicle One
2006 Ford F-150 4.6L V8
Current Oil: Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5W-20
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra Synthetic
OCI: 9000ish miles (follows vehicle two OCI reminder)
Driving Habits: 60 miles round trip five days a week, majority freeway

Vehicle Two
2017 Honda CR-V 1.5L Turbo
Current Oil: Schaeffer Supreme 9000 0W-20
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra Synthetic
OCI: follow the MaintenanceMinder (7000ish miles)
Driving Habits: 30 miles round trip work days and weekend driving, majority city driving

Gut Feeling Oil Choice: Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5W-30

My main concern is protection and of course LSPI in the CR-V. To battle LSPI I run 91 octane and change the engine air filter religiously (read somewhere that it's helpful). Schaeffer is not Dexos 1, Gen 2 certified but I had already bought a case of the oil and using it up. I'm a fan of Schaeffer and I would like to stick with it, but options are limited with the brand. Like I said, my gut feeling is a 5W-30, but wanted to get the input of the forum.

Thank you in advance.

Both of those applications seem to be pretty easy on the oil. Nice distances, getting it up to temp, warm climate. Any 5w30 full synthetic on sale would be my choice to run in all of it. Schaeffer's if you like but Mobil, Pennzoil....doesn't matter.

Exhibit A:

European Civic oil recommendations

They'd rather have you use 5W30 than an 0W20 of unknown performance.

Vehicle number 1 won't care. Vehicle number 2 does care (TDI), so whatever makes that one happy will work for both. Being AZ, I'm inclined to look at 0W-30 and see if you can get D1G2 oils ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Vehicle number 1 won't care. Vehicle number 2 does care (TDI), so whatever makes that one happy will work for both. Being AZ, I'm inclined to look at 0W-30 and see if you can get D1G2 oils ...

Looks to me like a pretty safe recommandation. However given the OP location (Arizona) a 5W would work pretty much the same, and it expands the choices regarding brands / types of oil / certifications.

I'm in Phoenix too. Since we pretty much never get what I consider to be a 'proper' winter, the first number in the oil really isn't terribly relevant - a 5w30 will act pretty much just like a 10w30, for example. What I would focus on is more the base stock of the oil and how shear-stable it will be (including any viscosity modifiers in the add pack).

Good to know my gut feeling about a 5W-30 is looking to be a better option.

SirTanon, how do I tell if an oil is more shear-stable or not? I'm not overly familiar with that.

VAS or PP 5w30. Both are D1G2 and close to 20weight. Both have noack below 10%. That would be my choice for civic if not amsoil that i have in stash

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra

SirTanon, how do I tell if an oil is more shear-stable or not? I'm not overly familiar with that.

Honda’s recommendation is rather cryptic but useful. They tell you to use a premium oil (A5/B5) if you go for one with lower HTHS (about 3). And you can use a basic oil (A3/B3) if you go for one with higher HTHS (about 3.5).

For the Civic and your climate I would go with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. It’s A5/B5 and dexos. If it’s totally hot there I would look at an A3/B4 but those don’t come with dexos cert. Or look for an A5/B5 with BMW LL 01 FE cert, those are supposed to be stable. Might have dexos too.

For my climate I would be tempted with a 0w30 as BrocLuno mentioned.

I'm assuming the CRV is still under warranty, so I would make sure whatever oil you pick is included as an option in the CRV owner's manual. The F150 won't care either way. Once you are out of warranty, I agree with the 5W-30 choice.

his CRV's warranty won't allow for anything less or "greater" than a 0w-20, book it, I mean, warranty book it. Nice try guys but good information for people out there with beaters. Op, I used a 55 cent per Quart oil or 1.55 cent jug oil in my 17 Civic and it has eliminated a grind I would have at startup. I would like to see any of these other recommendations actual fix quirky and inconsistent issues like this, I would vegas book it. Doesn't need any Euro certs, nor BMW not none of that.. but yeah. none of that. Just API SN donut and than it's own UOA and user "testimonials" stuff reported like what I just did.

Last edited:
There’s the other method of doing your oil changes at the dealer and topping up with 0W40, but I won’t go there.....

28.gif

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra

Your 5w30 thought was spot on IMO. Schaeffer is very good stuff and at those distances will serve you well.

That 2006 4.6 liter will run for 300,000 miles no matter what swill you pour in it.

Drain the oil from the Honda, add two quarts of whatever (10W-40) and pour it in the F-150 is what I would do.

Maybe a little worried but more so finding an oil I can buy for two vehicles that can protect during high temperatures exceeding 110F.

As far as warranty, not overly concerned with it. Is what it is, if it were not for CAFE, don't think we'd be discussing warranty issues. I'll roll the dice, usually keep my vehicles for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back