Mercedes cartridge filter comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until a couple years ago, most Mercedes engines used a particular cartridge filter. I recently acquired a 2010 C300, and wanted to compare some filters out there. I have seen numerous reports of paper versions of these filters being problematic due to the high oil pressures causing them to twist and distort, so I only only purchased synthetic (fleece as the Mercedes people call them) filters. I ended up getting a Mann (who is the OEM supplier for this model), Bosch, Premium Guard, Mahle, and Hegst Here is my stock:

All good quality filters. Notice the Mann, Bosch and PG models look very similar. More on that later. Here is a closer look at the top of the Hengst:

A nice felt seal at the ends of the filter. The banding around the exterior to prevent filter distortion from pressure is made out of some sort of glue material. Each of the three strips was uniformly applied with no sign of any gaps. The box was also sealed, so it could not be tampered with without breaking the seal. Next is the Mahle:

This one has a rubber seal at the ends. The two bands are probable the downside of this filter. They are made out of a plastic material that is bonded to the filter. There is some overlap where the band is wrapped around (not shown). Next is a close up of the premium guard:

Rock Auto had this one for $4.12 cents, and the picture appeared to be exactly like the OEM Mann filter, so I thought I would give it a chance. It turns out, its a Mann knock off made in China (the Mann and Bosch filters are made in Germany). The media is very similar, but may be a little thicker on the PG. The nylon string banding is appears to be coated with some sort of glue to allow it to attach to the filter (in all 3 cases).

Next, comes the Bosch:

This filter appears to be identical to the Mann. I would even say, they are most likely made in the same factory based on the fonts on the date codes. Here is a closer look at the Mann:

The Mann filters are also in a sealed box, so they cannot be tampered with. They are the gold standard for this filter model. I don't have an official "Mercedes Branded" filter to compare these to, but there is numerous evidence that they are indeed Mann made (no pun intended) filters on this model. I can get the Mann filters for around $9 from FCPEuro and RMEuropean, and the Bosch filters for just over $7 from RMEuropean. If I ever need to buy more filters, I would probably go with the Bosch just to save two bucks. All signs point to them actually being manufactured in the same factory as the Mann models. The Chinese knock off PG filters aren't bad, but I would rather get the legit filters for a couple bucks more (plus, Rock auto adds shipping costs).

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

The Purolator Boss will be the same as the Bosch/Mann. Bosch used to co-own Purolator with Mann, and although Bosch divested themselves from Puro, their filters are still made by Purolator and Mann. I looked at all three Purolators for this application (25277), and they all look the same! So yout CLassic, P1, and Boss could all be the same but in different boxes (and prices). L25277/PL25277/PBL25277
crazy2.gif

There is also a Fram Ultra for this application, XG8481, and the FPS version FPS8481. It uses the standard Fram Ultra pink media and wire backing.

Wix also makes a filter for this car, and the 57078 seems to use the same OE fleece and plastic mesh construction. It has black plastic end caps and a spiral glue pattern

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

The Purolator Boss will be the same as the Bosch/Mann. Bosch used to co-own Purolator with Mann, and although Bosch divested themselves from Puro, their filters are still made by Purolator and Mann. I looked at all three Purolators for this application (25277), and they all look the same! So yout CLassic, P1, and Boss could all be the same but in different boxes (and prices). L25277/PL25277/PBL25277
crazy2.gif

There is also a Fram Ultra for this application, XG8481, and the FPS version FPS8481. It uses the standard Fram Ultra pink media and wire backing.

Wix also makes a filter for this car, and the 57078 seems to use the same OE fleece and plastic mesh construction. It has black plastic end caps and a spiral glue pattern

Good call! It does appear that all 3 of the Purolator filters are the exact Mann/Bosch equivalents. That is insane, especially considering the price differences (it looks like they vary from $13 for classic ti 20+ dollars for the Boss - for the same filter I purchased as a Bosch for $7). It goes to show that branding effects price. It does look like the Wix 57078 is now the same filter too. When looking around, I noticed Wix used to offer a different variant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTpOH5J7SZU. Even Wix's website shows that same model, so it may have been a recent change http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=57078. It all makes sense since they are all under the Mann company.

Nice post. Thanks.
I had a few PG clones of the 7317 filters and they looked good.
Can synthetic type. PG said they were 98% efficiency ( 30 microns)
Not bad. Unrelated of course but a PG. Product too

I have a MB left, looks identical to Mann except has MB logo. The two black marks are to know when the filter is correctly inserted? The others look nice, the Mahle has a different cap. The PG is a good copier.

Not surprised Bosch likely identical to Mann. Companies still pretty tight I'd imagine in oil filter manufacturing. Former co owners of Purolator and M&H Puro still making US made Bosch filters.

'Appearance wise' heck of a Mann knock off by PG. Can't speculate on functional similarity.

Thanks for pics.

Very nice write up. I have used the same Mann filter p/n on my neighbor's Benzs. I purchase from AAP and have never seen one that is sealed.

Thanks Snowman.
I have used the Mann, Mahle, and Hengst. I now prefer the Mann and Mahle because they seal really well around the housing.
Just took a Mann off, and put on a Mahle on my ‘99. Mann was still tight, and Mahle rubber seal fits very tight.
If the seal top/bottom is not tight, it is no different than a tear in the media. IMO

I thought I would post a couple pics showing how the Mann and Hengst filter boxes are sealed. This was the case for me for the filters I have purchased from FCP Euro and RMEuropean. I The Hengst has a tab on top of the box that has to be ripped to open. I ended up taping mine up, which ripped off some of the paper from. The Mann has two small glue areas at the top, and is well glued at the bottom.

Hi
Super thread and photos, thank you.
Are these the Filters used on the OM642 Merc engine?
Are they idiot proof to fit? I noticed someone asked about the two black marks being an aid to fitting. How is this please?
Forgive any dumb questions but I am new to forum and keen to learn more.
Many thanks.

I am glad you found this thread useful. Doing a search on Rock Auto's website, I see this model fits the OM642. And, yes the black lines is to aid fitting the filter onto the housing. I don't really know how useful it really is. Possibly, it has something to do with other smaller or larger filters being able to fit on the filter housing, and the marks ensure that the correct size filter is used. If that isn't the reason, I would think the filter would get pushed into the filter housing to seat properly when the housing is screwed into the car. Here is a picture of the instructions included with the Mann filters:

Nice thread. Thanks for posting. Have found the name brands to work well over the years. A few pix:

Last edited:
Hi
Excellent pics and information lads. Thank you.
Bosch,Mann and Mahle are all easily available here in UK. Looks like any of those will be fine.
Incidentally my OM642 is in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I vaguely remember when installing the Mann years ago I didn't get it all the way to the black line and because of the black line, made sure it was. There is a big difference between pushing the element into the cap with the element out, or using the turning cap to force it in. This may be why we see twisted filters.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I vaguely remember when installing the Mann years ago I didn't get it all the way to the black line and because of the black line, made sure it was. There is a big difference between pushing the element into the cap with the element out, or using the turning cap to force it in. This may be why we see twisted filters.

You could be right. That might be one of the causes for twisting. I do think the paper filters are more susceptible to twisting as well. In fact, every paper filter I have seen removed on any of these Mercedes applications has resulted in a distorted filter. As illustrated on this forum (warning - not for the faint of heart - dead engine) - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4719726/He's_Dead_Jim!_Engine_Warranty#Post4719726 Note that in this application, the OEM filter is paper, but is most likely built more robustly as the filter used here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back