"daily driver" term is comical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flinter
I am talking about people who own just one car and call it their "daily driver."
If I lived in a city I might own a car yet not consider it a daily driver--I might walk, take the bus or ride a bicycle. The car might be just for weekends.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Not as daft as "defensive ammo", but then not a lot is.

Or 'tactical' anything.
smile.gif

Or "craft" anything. Craft beer, craft wine, craft crepes, craft waffles...

I think it still applies sometimes, it's describing you drive the car often. So perhaps certain repairs can't be done at home because it may take too long since the car is depended on etc.

My Sonata is a daily driver. It gets all the commuting miles piled on it, while my Jeep is a garage queen and only sees daylight once every week or two.

My wife's family always had all kinds of vehicles, some even running, sitting around on their small farm, but there were some that were used most every day. Her folks retired to a big spread in the southeast and they kept up with that practice, even had a moving van for several years that was definitely not a DD.

I guess we had a non-DD car at our when my daughter went off to college and didn't have a parking spot for her car, but that will change now that she is moving into an apartment for the next school year. It is AWD, so my wife drove it in bad weather last winter.

It's just one of many idiotic cliches on BitOG. Regardless of frequency or number owned, vehicles are driven, not drivers.

I think, at least in some ways, "daily driver" has supplanted the term "beater", at least for many people. For me, I don't have a car I consider a beater, as both are well-maintained and look good.

Look at the two cars in my sig. Both get driven, at least to some extent, most days, but one of them is the one I drive back and forth to work every work day, and is also the one I drive when I need to run an errand of some sort.

.. which one do you think gets the "daily driver" moniker?

My wifes Daily Driver is the Smart.

I would rather not use the S Class for running around locally so I shall be buying something either cheap and cheerful or a small motorbike, i rather fancy one of the Lexmoto 125cc bikes for nipping around locally.

Either the cheap car or motorbike would be my Daily Driver.

My daughter has just one car, our 2014 Picanto that we gave to her, I would class that as a DD as she uses it everyday

A better term for me is driven as needed (dan). I rarely drive every day.

What I find comical is your 2017 Elantra purchased new with 10 miles. Everyone knows you should have purchased it with 9 miles like mine.
grin.gif

Depends on how many vehicles you have and what you do with them. If you only own one car, it's obviously your Daily Driver, but if you own more than one, it could be different.

But, I don't find the term useless. To me it describes a vehicle that above all must offer utility and reliability, one that might not receive the very best care (simply because it gets the most mileage and some maintenance has to be put off until it can be afforded, plus your "special" vehicles might get a lot of TLC in comparison). OEM or equivalent parts, reasonable fuel consumption, possibly multiple users. That tells me a lot about what I might suggest when a question is asked in a forum.

If 38 clowns climbed out of my daily driver at red lights it would be a comical term. It is not.

My daily driver is as serious as cancer. It IS my personality.
People see the car first when I roll up and say, "Oooh, look at that dented 11 year old Volvo station wagon. The owner-who obviously has taste-must be completely atop maintenance. I wonder what kind of mileage it delivers? Ohh how I wish I owned one of those!".

The 99 MGM gets driven most weekends. My '12 Mazda3 is my daily driver/work car.

Since the early 1990s, I've keep a weekend car and a daily beater. Or, in the case of the '99 MGM, I have a spare car (not quite beater) that I drive occasionally to keep it fresh.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I think it has to do with class and conspicuous consumption. Sort of a humblebrag letting everyone know you have two cars, but for a responsible reason. In this case, usually the other car is nothing really that special or could be used as a DD.

Also, if you are an enthusiast and are stuck with a junk car for some reason, it becomes your "DD" so other enthusiasts won't make fun of you

This and it's an excuse to not go "all out" with a stupid stiff suspension, droning exhaust, and 150 treadwear rated tires.

The Honda NSX was invented to be the daily driver supercar, appropriate for dentists and others who just want to turn the key and roll.

IDK, I have lots of cars in various conditions, more than will fit in my sig.
For example, I daily drove my old E350 extended length van to work for eight months last year as a matter of necessity.
Fifty miles a day at fuel consumption ranging between 13.3 and 16.1 mpg depending upon the fuel blend and the weather. Not too awful with sub two buck fuel and it did do the job, but the thing is now back to occasional use when we need to move something large and is therefore no longer a daily driver.
The old BMW is a good weather daily driver, since I prize the drop top. It's a winter garage queen.
For those of us who own more than a vehicle or two, the term "daily driver" has meaning.
For those with only a single car, it doesn't.

Yes, those of us who like cars and have several, usually one is the commuter car and the others are for a purpose (truck) or a classic or high performance car that is driven occasionally. I choose to drive my Mustang as my commuter because I work in a hostile environment for cars (lots of dust and filth).

My car sits out in the back yard all week, and gets used to take me 2km for a walk around the lake on weekends. I ride a 50cc scooter to work everyday. My wife uses her car much more than I use mine, but not everyday either.

I think you'll find that most people here own multiple cars. Most people have at least three cars, and there's a good percentage that have four or more (listed in their sig).

We own three cars and one of them is maybe driven 1500 miles a year.

So I'd say, at least in this group, that it's more like half the cars owned are driven "daily".

This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

I have a few cars one for winter only that I don't care if it gets dinged, paint damage, anything. If something major happens to it off to the bone yard she goes. Daily driver.
Summer car same thing just gets a bit more care but hardly ever washed and definitely never waxed, keep it clean and sort of maintained but really don't give a rats rear what happens to it. Daily driver

A couple of others that see less than 1K a year and are pristine and uber maintained with nice paint jobs, these are the ones I spend my time and money on. Not daily drivers.

BTW I am not really what you would call a car guy. I don't like them for the most part and have little interest in them, sure I work on them and do nice work but I prefer a good bike any day.

This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

I dunno bud.

In any given area, there's tons of project cars or garage queens sitting under car covers. Neither of which gets driven with any regularity, or at all. I wouldn't consider those as being daily drivers.

I know if I had the resources at present, I'd have lots of non daily drivers. Maybe every other day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back