"daily driver" term is comical

Status
Not open for further replies.
This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

I have A LOT of cars but I use one exclusively for my work commute and errands so that is my Daily Driver. Seems like the correct terminology for me.

I guess it depends on how many vehicles you have. For me, with a single, one size fits all vehicle it doesn't make sense. But for someone with a classic car they only drive in the summer, or multiple vehicles, DD means something.

Not sure why its comical - I know tons of guys with a hot rod in the garage and a commuter car in the driveway.

One gets driven on weekends if ever, vs every day.

I have numerous vehicles myself, but only drive one or two with regularity.

Now if a guy with one car calls it his "daily driver" then its kinda silly.

UD

Originally Posted By: flinter
This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

I have two cars, one is a DD, the other is not.

21.gif

I typically drive my truck once/week, and my car nearly every day, sometimes even on the same day I drive my truck.

Daily Driver is a car that gets you to work. Wife may not ride in it (embarrassed). Family car is one you can take the wife to dinner and she will not be embarrassed.

I own five cars, a Rabbit, an Expedition, an NSX, an S2000, and an SC400. The Rabbit and Expedition are driven almost daily, but while the rest are driven often, they are not driven daily by any stretch.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear you only have one car. We have 4 different cars. Two are daily drivers, one's a weekend toy and the other is a trunk to drive around said weekend toy if need be. Nothing comical here.

Originally Posted By: flinter
I am talking about people who own just one car and call it their "daily driver."

It still makes sense in the context of an auto forum. They're calling it that to succinctly convey its usage profile, since many who frequent auto forums do have secondary cars that are "weekend toys".

I think it has to do with class and conspicuous consumption. Sort of a humblebrag letting everyone know you have two cars, but for a responsible reason. In this case, usually the other car is nothing really that special or could be used as a DD.

Also, if you are an enthusiast and are stuck with a junk car for some reason, it becomes your "DD" so other enthusiasts won't make fun of you

I have
94 Accord with 260K miles
83 GMC pickup with 37K miles
85 Jeep with 81K miles
85 Jeep with 118K miles
85 Jeep with 5K miles

The 94 Accord is driven 30 miles to work and 30 miles home each day. It's my daily driver. The others are seldom driven.

Drive my van for long trips and groceries shopping. Drive my BMW when I feel like a joyride.

Neither is daily driven, so you may have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back