What is a good filter for my car?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a ryco Z9 equivalent.

I am an Aussie, and have a Ford BA XR6 Turbo Sedan.

Drive pretty steadily, no funny stuff, and in the last 11 months have only done a bit over 4,000 miles.

I have used Royal Purple 30-8A in the past.

Have heard people talk about K&N filters. Are they good?

Probably fine. I don't think anyone can say anything bad about them. Why don't you use a Royal Purple filter to go with your oil?

As for me and my house, I just stick with Factory Oil filters from the dealership.

If you want an oil filter that will hold the most dirt without clogging, get a Fram Ultra.
It is also the most efficient one I've ever seen, meaning it gets out more small particles.
Wire-backed, double-layer full synthetic media inside is what does all that.
If you don't care about performance at all, then Gebo's recommendation to just use OEM oil filters will work OK.

In Oz, I recon the best filter is the Ryco Syntec, full synthetic filter.

Second place would be the regular Ryco filters and the Valvoline Synblend media filters.

The best economy filter is the Wesfil-Cooper. In my opinion.

We don't get Fram Ultra and stuff like that.

I'm not too sure where the K&N or RP filters fit in. But I'm pretty sure the Ryco Syntec is the only full synthetic media filter available in Australia. Compared to the cellulose media the Syntec should: last longer (more KM), filter better (smaller particles) and flow better (less restriction). They make a Z9 for you.

Originally Posted By: SR5
We don't get Fram Ultra and stuff like that.
Royal Purple is a close second to the Ultra, I'd run an RP then. Although, IF it seems built good with a silicone ADBV, then the Ryco full-syn media filter may be very good.
Here is something from a thread 2 years ago:
Originally Posted By: Wreckage
Says "Removes 99.8% of contaminants based on ISO4548-12 at 25 micron maximum efficiency based on Z9ST."

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4273474/1

Last edited:
The Toyota OEM oil filter is made by this company. All the oil filter you will ever need. Can't mention name for another seven months and twenty days.

There was a member here who named their dog after their favorite parts for their cars from Japan. That poor dog's name was DENSO. The neighbors didn't know what in the world that name meant. They just figured that it was another way to say the dog was slow and dumb. But that wasn't the case.

It's been a good 21 years since I was in Oz, my uncle lives in Queensland and I remember seeing a Bumpa to Bumpa near his house and cheap Valvoline 20W-50 was the oil of choice in his Camry and Victa mower.
smile.gif

I recall Repco and Ryco were the filters of choice down there, and it's what the local Mobil shop used on his car. I'd use the Ryco without issue.

Doesn't Australia have another brand of filter like us Americans do, or do their parts store chains simply import Chinese filters?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
There was a member here who named their dog after their favorite parts for their cars from Japan. That poor dog's name was DENSO. The neighbors didn't know what in the world that name meant. They just figured that it was another way to say the dog was slow and dumb. But that wasn't the case.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
If you want an oil filter that will hold the most dirt without clogging, get a Fram Ultra.

We dont have them in Australia and no idea what the Z9 equivalent would be.
Will google it and see if I get lucky.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Doesn't Australia have another brand of filter like us Americans do, or do their parts store chains simply import Chinese filters?

Mostly Ryco here, and some American filters are "filtering" in to our country, but its a slow change.

Originally Posted By: SR5
In Oz, I recon the best filter is the Ryco Syntec, full synthetic filter.

Thanks will see if I can get them in my town.

Originally Posted By: nthach
It's been a good 21 years since I was in Oz, my uncle lives in Queensland and I remember seeing a Bumpa to Bumpa near his house and cheap Valvoline 20W-50 was the oil of choice in his Camry and Victa mower.
smile.gif

Wow ..... the Bumpa-T-Bumpa chain, I forgot about them. I looked it up, they were acquired by AutoBarn in the early 2000's.

Yep everybody was using 20W50 or the flash new 15W40 back then.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I get by with a little help from my friends.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Although, IF it seems built good with a silicone ADBV, then the Ryco full-syn media filter may be very good.

Yes the Ryco Syntec has a silicone ADBV.
Quote:
Features:

15,000 kilometre service life
100% synthetic media, with wire backing for added strength
99.8% efficiency at 25µm
High temperature resistance (up to 260°C)
Low restriction to flow (excellent at start up and when cold)
High resistance to chemical attack
Spiral wound centre tube for strength, to withstand pressure
Teflon coated main sealing gasket to aid in removal
Grit finished spin on can for better grip
Silicone ADV*
*where fitted

Ref:
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/syntec

They say 15,000 KM but I think that is based on the standard Aussie OCI of 10,000 KM with regular filters. So they are probably saying Syntec can go 50% longer. My car specs a 15,000 KM on a regular filte, so I would happily go 20,000 KM on a Syntec. But that's just me.

OP, most auto stores like Repco or SCA have the new Ryco Syntec filters, so it should be easy to find them or order them in. Do you live out bush ? Should be able to order on-line, you want a Z9ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back