How Is Perfect Rice Cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love rice; it's my preferred starch. But I've noticed that when I get rice from Chinese restaurants, etc, the rice is perfect, not sticky or gummy.

When I cook it in a pot at home, it gets all sticky and gummy (especially certain brands or varieties).

Do I need to get a rice cooker? If so, what's the best one to get?

Perfect rice is cooked by someone other than me. Same prob

I think its a day old at the restaurants.

UD

Rice is perfect when you are hungry and want 2000 of something.
-Mitch Hedberg

They use different rice.
Also a bigger size cooker.

If you have close to you indian or chinese or other Asian stores, you can find many types of rice.

Mine is the regular aldi/Jewel(midwest grocery store) 1-3 # bag.

1 cup of rice, 3-4 cups of water, salt, bit of oil/butter/coconut oil,
use a pot with tick walls, let it boil on slow, mix from time to time and add water gradually as needed.
also cover (it kind of steams itself)
about 15 minutes and done.

oddities:
you should see the face of my kids when they saw purple rice for the first time....

Last edited:
I add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to mine. Sticky & gummy to me means a little over cooked...try taking off a minute or two.

Treat rice like pasta.

Big pot of water, bring to boil. Dump in rice. Let boil for 14 minutes or until desired texture is where you like it. you can taste as you go.

Drain in mesh collander, return to pot and bring to table.

Perfect every time.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
I add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to mine. Sticky & gummy to me means a little over cooked...try taking off a minute or two.

???

I typically cook .5 cup of rice. I use 1 cup of water. I do cover it, and it gets cooked only until the water has all evaporated.

My favorite has been the Zatarain's "parboiled" variety. Doesn't seem to come out as sticky and gummy. But it's still not as nice and dry and fluffy, nor does it taste as good, as the rice I get from local restaurants - especially from the Indian restaurant. Their rice, and the rice I get from the local Middle Eastern/Persian restaurants is the best.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Treat rice like pasta.

Big pot of water, bring to boil. Dump in rice. Let boil for 14 minutes or until desired texture is where you like it. you can taste as you go.

Perfect every time.

Hmm...never tried it this way. I've always just followed the instructions on the rice bag, which do say to bring water to a boil. But then I cover and cook until the water is pretty much gone. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Given up white rice. Too much starch and potentially arsenic due to the flooded way its grown.

Brown or wild rice now.

I'm a distance runner and cyclist, so, I need the starch. Otherwise I'd "dry up 'n blow away", as my mom used to say
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: JLTD

???

I typically cook .5 cup of rice. I use 1 cup of water. I do cover it, and it gets cooked only until the water has all evaporated.

My favorite has been the Zatarain's "parboiled" variety. Doesn't seem to come out as sticky and gummy. But it's still not as nice and dry and fluffy, nor does it taste as good, as the rice I get from local restaurants - especially from the Indian restaurant. Their rice, and the rice I get from the local Middle Eastern/Persian restaurants is the best.

Maybe we use different varieties. Mine goes into boiling water, wait till it boils again, then cover on low for 20 minutes (45 for brown). That's where I came up with "take a minute off".

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Treat rice like pasta.

Perfect every time.

I think I'll try it this way next time, instead of cooking it until the water all evaporates.

I've never had any problems with cooking pasta. I like it "al dente", and, just a few minutes in the boiling water is perfect.

Lot of different opinions!

I use 1 cup rice too 1 1/4 cups water with salt or seasoning added, sometimes I use half chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, summer for 10 minutes, let sit covered for at least 10, comes out perfect.

Best thing is to get a rice cooker. Usually, if you make a cup of rice, you'd put equal amounts of water in it. If you want the rice a little moist, which makes it not as sticky, add a little more water. But first, rinse the rice a couple of times before you cook it. Find a local Asian market and get a 30 lbs bag of either jasmine or calrose short grain.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Best thing is to get a rice cooker. But first, rinse the rice a couple of times before you cook it.

Hmm... I've certainly never tried that. What's the point?

This is the way I cook my rice - comes out great every time. I do rinse and then soak the Basmati for 30-60 minutes before cooking.

Since he's using gas in the video below, I'll point out that on our electric range, I use the number 1 setting on the dial (just above warm) for cooking once it reaches a simmer, and then make sure to move it off the burner to a cool part of the stove top after the 20 minutes is up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
Steam the rice instead of boiling.

How?

Colander or strainer with smaller then rice holes on top of boiling pot of water...

Perfect to your own liking!

Just like pasta. Some like el dente while others like it cooked for those few extra minutes.

And hard boiled eggs. Some like the yoke firm while others like it a little runny.

Or a steak...well done or rare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back