Non HM Oil for 2010 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded our 2007 Prius in for a 2010 model. No major issues yet, and slight oil consumption from what I can see.

Question: Since I have run out of my HM oils (in lower weight) from the stash, I plan on just using the remaining 0w40 and 5w30 that I have left.

Engine has 150k miles, and being that it is high mileage...what do you suggest as an Additive for HM suppliment?

I figure that I wont be buying more HM oil until next December at AZ. Maybe now is a time for a trial of HM suppliment, like Berryman B-60, Lucas, etc.

Thoughts?

Can you first confirm you have (or Not) one of the oil eating Prii?
Like check the dipstick every week?

Do you drive at high-speed or high-elevation/tall hills?

Also, do you know any history about the car?
any maintenance/dealer/etc?

Oil, use what you want. I think some people said they had less mpg with the Xw40 oils...

Originally Posted By: Greg L
... No major issues yet, and slight oil consumption from what I can see.
... Engine has 150k miles, and being that it is high mileage. ...
How much consumption do you mean by "slight"? Some Prii of that generation apparently turn into serious oil guzzlers, well before that moderate mileage, even if supposedly well maintained. Some don't. What makes the difference isn't clear. Coking of rings is suspected.

Mine is ok, so far.

Depends how it’s consuming oil. If it’s rings, there’s not much you can do. If it’s valvestem seals, recommend ATP AT-205 Re Seal.

Had it one week, dipstick went down about 1/8". Carfax was good; original owner regularly maintained it by dealer or lube shops.

Mostly hill driving (80%) and freeway (20%).

Never heard of ATP AT-205...will look into it.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
Engine has 150k miles, and being that it is high mileage...what do you suggest as an Additive for HM suppliment?
The chief difference between an HM oil and a regular oil for newer engines is the extra seal conditioners. LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver since it's mosty just seal conditioner.
https://products.liqui-moly.com/media/ca...95/1/8/1802.jpg
"Regenerates rubber and plastic engine seals such as shaft seals and valve stem seals and prevents oil stains under the vehicle. Counteracts oil dilution. Reduces engine noise and oil consumption through piston rings and valve guides."
Amazon, NAPA auto parts stores.

matwithcats, Using Mobil1 Racing 0w30 should only be used as top-off oil in the last half an oil change interval after the original oil's additives are degraded somewhat. New oil doesn't need anything yet, and more may not be better. Last half of the OCI, maybe yes, a small additive boost wouldn't be bad I'd think.

If you've just noticed it dropped slightly in a week 1/8" on the dipstick, that could be anything. I would change it was a fresh 5w30 HM Full Syn oil and then run it for a full 10k mile OCI to see where you're at. Those 1.8 engines of that vintage were spotty with oil burning and doesn't apply to even all of those. Our 1.5 has been 100% perfect since new on whatever the cheapest full syn 0w20 I can find at the time of the OCI.

You do realize that car calls for 0w20, don't you? We have a similar 2010 Prius with over 165k on the clock. It sees a 10k OCI at the dealership and doesn't require any makeup oil. Then again, we are not driving on hilly terrain here in SE Pennsylvania.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
You do realize that car calls for 0w20, don't you? We have a similar 2010 Prius with over 165k on the clock. It sees a 10k OCI at the dealership and doesn't require any makeup oil. Then again, we are not driving on hilly terrain here in SE Pennsylvania.

2010 was the switch over year and it’s funny that so many people were hesitant to run the “expensive” 0w20 at the time so many , including dealers still put 5w30 in them. Either way won’t kill it but I think he needs to do a full 10k to see if he even has a problem.

I'd run the 5W-30 you have. Then work on stocking up on xW-20.

Prii are known for coked rings, at least on the 2nd gen cars. My 09 was starting to drink oil but I've been running MMO for 1000 miles before an OCI to try to clean things up a bit. I recently added a little Neutra to my oil at 500 miles out. Jury's out on that one.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Prii are known for coked rings, at least on the 2nd gen cars.

2010 was the first model year of the 3rd generation Prius. They have a different and larger engine than your 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back