Ford Escape Owner's manual says 5.7 quarts, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my son's new-to-him 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine for the first time. So far it has been a great little car. I put a Motorcraft filter on it and used 5W30 (which is what the 2.0 calls for) Havoline Pro DS Synthetic that I had from an O'Reilly clearance a while back.

Anyway, the manual says it uses 5.7 quarts. I put in 5 and ran it for a minute to check for leaks. I then buttoned everything up and backed it off of the ramps to put in the rest of the oil. I put in another half quart and it was still at the bottom of the hash marks. I added more...more...I ended up adding a full 6.0 quarts (maybe 6.1--I'm using 5 quart jugs so it isn't exact) of oil to get it just to the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick. Yes, I waited a bit to let oil drain down to the pan like I do with all of my vehicles.

I'm just wondering if this dipstick is calibrated so that 5.7 is supposed to be in the *middle* of the hashmarks (as opposed to the top). I'm pretty confident it isn't overfilled given that it comes to the top of the hashmark but not over. I've just never had a vehicle where the amount in the owner's manual wasn't right at the "full" mark. Thoughts? Has anyone else who has this car/engine noticed this? Even if I did overfill it by .3-.4 quarts, I'm assuming we won't have issues, right? I know REALLY overfilling can cause problems, obviously, but .3-.4 quarts seems pretty nominal especially given the dipstick markings.

Did you let it sit for 15 minutes before checking? Its important on the ecoboost engines to check it cold or after atleast 15 minutes.

I went back and checked it an hour or so later and it was right at the top of the hashmarks where it should be.
21.gif

The dipstick is(IDK if calibrated is the best word) fairly accurate and I myself would look at 5.7 qts as 6.0 qts. For the next several OCI's, monitor what you are putting in and that should give you a baseline to work with. In the vehicles future, you may feel very comfortable just dumping in the full 6.0 qts and calling it a day.

Yeah, this was the first oil change so I was being cautious just adding a little bit at a time. I know how my other vehicles are so I'm a little more laid back with them.

Plus, I wanted to get it at the top of the hash so I can easily tell if this engine is using any oil over the course of the interval. I just like to keep an eye on things like that and I've taught my son to do the same. It is still under warranty so I want to make sure we monitor everything.

Maybe more drains out when it's on ramps as opposed to when it's level. The guys as the Ford factory probably use a lift instead of laying on the ground under ramps when they write the owners manual.

i wouldn't worry about it, just go off of the dipstick.

Yes, got to let it sit for a good long time, and then check it. Its probably better just to put in 1 quart less than spec capacity at oil change time, after draining for 10 minutes or so of course. Then, just check it a week later and keep adding a dash every 2 weeks or so until its full. That way it creeps up to the line, and you can base the reading off of having it sit all night for accuracy.

If you do have it overfilled a bit, just check the dipstick immediately after driving it to look for bubbles. No bubbles, you're fine.

That crossed my mind. Given the position of the drain plug, it does seem like you could get slightly more oil out of the pan on ramps. Who knows.

I usually put ~250ml under the drain and refill with filter amount and it falls where it may on the dipstick. Volume replaced is more important than DS reading; I wouldn't feel comfortable if it was 500ML OVER the top of the hashmark with this process though.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I put in 6 quarts on my mom's Fusion with a 2.0EB and have been doing it as long as she has owned the car without issue.

If you use 6 quarts instead of 5.7 you are adding 10 oz more, not a problem. In fact the dip stick for our 2017 Explorer 2.3 EB has the hash marks for 5.7 quarts and a maximum fill "hole" mark, which I assume is if you add 6 quarts instead of 5.7. For me 5.7 quarts for an oil change brings it to the top of the hash marks. It's just a pain in the butt to wait the 20 minutes to get a semi accurate reading on the dip stick. Luckily the Explorer doesn't use any significant amount of oil even in a 7,000 mile summer high speed run.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I put in 6 quarts on my mom's Fusion with a 2.0EB and have been doing it as long as she has owned the car without issue.

Same here with our Edge 2.0 EB. Currently Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1. 15% on the OLM and it'll get changed again.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Often the mfg stated capacity brings the level to the midrange of the dipstick marks...not to the "max" of the range.
Something like that. Refilling after an oil change with the stated capacity brings my Toyota about 90% of the way up from the low to the high mark on the dipstick, checking it cold the next morning. I avoid adding any more, for fear of foaming, increased consumption, etc.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Often the mfg stated capacity brings the level to the midrange of the dipstick marks...not to the "max" of the range.

This is true for all the Fords I have owned when putting in what the manual calls for. For the GM vehicles I've owned it's the top of the hatch marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back