Honda Civic Brake Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there two different size brake shoes listed for an 04 Honda Civic? Advance lists 1.38 x 7.37 and 1.4 x 8.66 with no explanation to determine which size is right. The pictures show four shoes for each size, so I assume the driver and passenger sides aren't different sizes.

Probably up to a VIN it once size after that VIN another or model year change over common in May builds for some cars.
You will have to measure it unless there is a code on the build sticker.
There is a short shoe and long shoe for each side, short shoe goes in front.

I have an 04 civic and I don't know how to determine which is correct without checking on the car. I would buy both and return the one that you don't use.

Just go to the local Honda Dealer with your VIN.

I'm weird but brakes are one thing I only buy from the dealer. Toyota (I know you have a Honda) can sell you two levels of brakes. An economy and a deluxe version. BIG difference in price from the dealership depending on which you choose. I don't know if this quality issue applies to Honda.

A DX should use the small ones. The 7.37 or 8.66 will be the ID of the drum. Take one of the drums off and measure.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
It's a DX. Worse case, I'll just take one up to Advance and make sure I'm getting the same size.

Exactly, best bet!

The hybrid seems to have different rear shoes than the other Civics of that era. Yours are the 1.38 x 7.37

The FMSI number is S576. The part number will almost always have 576 in it regardless of brand.

Once you get this figured out, write down the correct shoe size in your maintenance records. The next time you have to buy new shoes will be a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back