Determining Severe Oil Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Subaru Legacy 2.5l and have 1500 miles on it in 3 months. Would you change oil per the Severe service due to low mileage/short trip schedule? It is driven 8 miles to work weekly (Mo-Fr)one way, some interstate and mostly side streets. The dealer says just do 6months/6000miles (WECF). What do YOU think? Thanks for your comments in advance. I want to use QSUD 0W-20 especially since the base oil is GTL like Pennzoil Pure Plua. Any comments welcome.

Regards,
Fred Demmer
Cincinnati, USA

Maybe I'd consider it severe in the cold weather ... But it's warming up nicely and that engine has port injection if older model, so it runs relatively cleanly. Yeah, I know Subies are known to fuel the oil some, but not unless your pushing a lot of turbo boost and beating on it, or it's a Direct Injection engine ...

QSUD will go the distance. I'd just do every 6 months.

You could pull a sample and send it in at shorter time to double check. Then you'd know for sure
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

You could pull a sample and send it in at shorter time to double check. Then you'd know for sure
smile.gif

I agree with this.

Or just run 5W-40 Shell Rotella T in everything.

That type of driving constitutes severe service driving. I'd follow the owners manual for severe service maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

smile.gif

I agree with this.

Or just run 5W-40 Shell Rotella T in everything.

Do you mean Rotella T3, or some other Rotella product. I think Rotella T is phased out.

8 miles daily on pavement with some high speed sections is not severe service; it's near ideal, actually.

"Severe Service" is towing, travel on dusty roads with opposing traffic (that's where you eat the dust), and numerous trips where the coolant and lubricants do not meet operating temperatures. You have none of those conditions.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
8 miles daily on pavement with some high speed sections is not severe service; it's near ideal, actually.

"Severe Service" is towing, travel on dusty roads with opposing traffic (that's where you eat the dust), and numerous trips where the coolant and lubricants do not meet operating temperatures. You have none of those conditions.

Severe service is also short hopping where the oil isn't getting to operating temps long enough to burn off excess fuel and moisture. I doubt the oil is getting hot enough long enough to burn off condensation, especially during the winter months. I'd follow severe service or at least pony up for a UOA to eliminate some of the guess work.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Severe service is also short hopping where the oil isn't getting to operating temps long enough to burn off excess fuel and moisture. I doubt the oil is getting hot enough long enough to burn off condensation, especially during the winter months. I'd follow severe service or at least pony up for a UOA to eliminate some of the guess work.

This. And if you do a UOA, get it somewhere that does gas chromatography fuel dilution testing.

A mechanic at the shop I take my cars too said that 'Western Washington is severe service'. So driving over here is sever service....

Oil is oil. Look at the ratings and when in doubt change it out. Follow the owners manual there is no voodoo needed.

New Vehicles follow the owners manual to a T, looks like you will be doing time changes and not mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back