Oil selection advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG Gentlemen~

I got a question regarding oil selection for my 2017 SKODA KODIAQ 2.0 TSI (EA888 GEN3B, 180HP/32.7kgm,132 kW TSI):

The specifications (VW standards) stated in the following can be indicated separately or together with other specifications on the bottle.

Vehicles with variable service intervals
Petrol engines Specification
2.0 ltr./132 kW TSI VW 508 00

Vehicles with fixed service intervals
Petrol engines Specification
2.0 ltr./132 kW TSI VW 502 00

I plan go with fixed OCI which is 1yr/15000 KM.

Since VW 502 00 is a FULL SAPS oil, and VVW 508 00 is a 0x-20 low viscosity oil.

That means, I can use AMSOIL 0W-20 SS oil (FULL SAPS, low viscosity) without any issues... is that correct?
Appreciate your comments!

Amsoil 0W-20 is NOT ok. What matters is the VW approval: the oil must be 502 or 508 certified (Amsoil is not). There are very few 508 oils available on the market, so I would choose a VW 502 approved oil. There are many to choose from. I’m not sure what you have in your market, but popular ones here are Castrol and Mobil 0W-40.

Hey, don't forget Kira ... We're not all gentlemen
laugh.gif

Your logic is prolly OK, but why? I would not run a 20 in anything designed by VW... 0W-30 or 0W-40, yeah sure - I'd be OK with that.

Question is, is this a Direct Injection engine? If so, some other considerations may be more important ...

Last edited:
I intend to use as low viscosity grade as possible, since vw 508 00 oil is also not easy to get here, I'd go for VW 504 00 (5W-30 /0W-30) instead of VW 502 00 (mostly xw-40?)
Is it safe to say?

Some 504 00 candidates here: (sort by price)
M1 ESP 5W-30
LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200
RAVENOL 5W-30 VMP
AMSOIL 5W-30 TD

Can someone please explain to me why the standard way of stating an oil wt. is not used here (ie; XWXX, XXWXX, etc.)? How do these oil numbers coincide with the way we here in the US say it?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: aleneros
I intend to use as low viscosity grade as possible, since vw 508 00 oil is also not easy to get here, I'd go for VW 504 00 (5W-30 /0W-30) instead of VW 502 00 (mostly xw-40?)
Is it safe to say?

M1 ESP 5W-30
LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200
RAVENOL 5W-30 VMP
AMSOIL 5W-30 TD

504 and 502 are going to be essentially the same viscosity. Both are required to be >3.5 HTHS. The SAE grade (for example, 5W-30) doesn’t really say much with European spec oils. I would use what is stated in the OM, a 502 oil. You can find it in 5W-30 as well.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Don't use TOP TEC 4200. It sucks

Curious, why? It has a lot of top-tier OEM approvals.

Is it safe to say?

M1 ESP 5W-30
LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200
RAVENOL 5W-30 VMP
AMSOIL 5W-30 TD
Why would you want to use the thinnest grade possible?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Can someone please explain to me why the standard way of stating an oil wt. is not used here (ie; XWXX, XXWXX, etc.)? How do these oil numbers coincide with the way we here in the US say it?
21.gif

They're talking about numbers on an OEM approval sheet, rather than SAE J300 viscosities on their own.

It must be not a good use experience, I wonder how bad is it?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

My two UOAs with this product are posted on the forum. It did not hold up well and there was significant wear. It is also expensive. Not worth it, try something else.

Last edited:

shocked.gif

My two UOAs with this product are posted on the forum. It did not hold up well and there was significant wear. It is also expensive. Not worth it, try something else.

Roger that.
BTW, what is your OCI on TOP TEC 4200?
Say: < 10000 mile?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is it safe to say?

M1 ESP 5W-30
LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200
RAVENOL 5W-30 VMP
AMSOIL 5W-30 TD
Why would you want to use the thinnest grade possible?

Because I read an article saying “..lower viscosity oil can enter engine and connect components more quickly...”:
Sounds like pretty correct statement to me...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recommended-oil

Last edited:

shocked.gif

Roger that.
BTW, what is your OCI on TOP TEC 4200?
Say: < 10000 mile?

One OCI was 8K and another was 10K. If you search the Diesel UOA sub-forum you can see the results.

I found them for you:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4726401/'09_TDI_-_LM_Top_Tec_4200_w/_L#Post4726401

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub..._42#Post4621345

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back