Recipe Lost for 70 years, yet we have it Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found! A particular combo of 11 herbs & spices.
Thank you Mr. Ledington! He found this, and I tried it in a chicken wrap (no MSG on mine though):
sanders_recipe.jpg

11 Spices – Mix With 2 Cups White Fl. (note: Ts means TableSpoon)

2/3 Ts Salt
1/2 Ts Thyme
1/2 Ts Basil
1/3 Ts Oregano
1 Ts Celery salt
1 Ts Black pepper
1 Ts Dried mustard
4 Ts Paprika
2 Ts Garlic salt
1 Ts Ground ginger
3 Ts White pepper

Key is Ledington's note that it uses white pepper, the one ingredient this one has that other "claims" have not, and that he remembers mixing in back in the 1940's as a kid working for the Colonel. Nowadays, they also can put MSG in there, and the "company" does admit to that.

It was tasty in a simple chicken wrap. No MSG for me; I put a little soy sauce in there though. Also crumbled up a few Fritos to get simulate the crunch. Works!

Other recipes which have marjoram in it, for example, which Ledington's does not, are probably just fine too, but this one seems genuine, and sourced that way to be the real thing.

I remember when that recipe first surfaced a few years ago. I showed it to my uncle who managed a few KFC's in their early expansion phase.
just looking at it he believes it to be real, because of the white pepper. he claims the colonel loved the stuff.
used it in a bunch of recipes.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
without the napkin- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_Original_Recipe
Not a 'napkin'. If it was, it'd be greasy, man!
The handwritten list of 11 herbs and spices was jotted down on the back of a document Joe Ledington described as the will for Claudia Sanders, the Colonel's second wife.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818-story.html

Anyway, when I tried it all in a simple wrap, there was no flour or MSG for me. Just a little soy sauce & shattered Fritos for crunch with white meat shreds.
Just be careful not to use too much. Its too salty to use much at all. Salty just like the KFC Original Recipe grease attack stuff.
So experiment with how much to mix in thoroughly with the chicken shreds if you try this fast and easy way to get a leaner version.

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Lol OP came here thinking he found some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow recipe on a napkin that the colonel himself scribed. When in reality it's all on Wikipedia
Have a little trouble with reading comprehension? I merely tried out something Ledington found on the back of a will from Sander's 2nd wife. Its clear if you actually read any of the original post I wrote. or if you read the Chicago Tribune story. Try again.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Lol OP came here thinking he found some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow recipe on a napkin that the colonel himself scribed. When in reality it's all on Wikipedia
Have a little trouble with reading comprehension? I merely tried out something Ledington found on the back of a will from Sander's 2nd wife. Its clear if you actually read any of the original post I wrote. or if you read the Chicago Tribune story. Try again.

"Recipe Lost for 70 years, yet we have it Now!"

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back