Honda gx390 governor falling back to 3200rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What causes the throttle control arm to not stay at 3600 rpm? I can manually move it all the way over and it will go to 4000 then let go and it will go to 3600 then slowly work it's way to 3200rpm no load, 2800rpm under load. This is a pressure washer with 9hrs on it.

There is probably a nut you can tighten down that will increase the rotating friction of the throttle arm.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
There is probably a nut you can tighten down that will increase the rotating friction of the throttle arm.

There is, but I'm not sure if that will affect how the governor operates. I guess the throttle lever is different than the governor arm. What causes it to change? It worked okay in the beginning afaik.

The speed control lever is supposed to stay where you set it because of friction from the pivot nut. If it does not stay, tighten the nut. If it is too hard to move, loosen the nut. That will not affect anything else.

Last edited:
The spring controls your governed speed. Off chance the wrong spring was installed, or maybe the engine is supposed to run at 2800 RPM loaded.

punisher said:
The spring controls your governed speed. Off chance the wrong spring was installed, or maybe the engine is supposed to run at 2800 RPM loaded. [/quote

It ran at the correct rpm for a few hours atleast. I'll go ahead and tighten that nut and then maybe turn the stop screw in a little bit so it runs at 3600rpm and not 4000 when all the way against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back