ACEA C3 / LL-04 oil comparison table (I got bored)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an oil nerd. I admit it. Considering moving to a C3 / LL-04 oil to limit additives the phosphorous build-up in my cats (I burn about a quart every 2-2,500k). These are all U.S. available options. A few standout (Ravenol HLS, M1 ESP, INEO Long Life). Also really like PP Euro L because of its GTL base (and on the shelf at wallyworld).

BTW, I am on a 5k OCI, so not worried about the low TBNs and U.S. gasoline (which is trending in the right direction).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is the Edge C3 available in the US?

Yep. $36 on Amazon for a 5 quart jug. Flashpoint has me concerned though...

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Oh, it's the 5w-30. I was thinking it was the 0w-30 C3 that's available in Europe.

As far as I remember Castrol uses different methodology when it comes to flash point. Also, heavy PAO based oils are not having high flash point. Not sure is 5W30 C3 heavy in PAO (I would say not).

Originally Posted By: edyvw
As far as I remember Castrol uses different methodology when it comes to flash point. Also, heavy PAO based oils are not having high flash point. Not sure is 5W30 C3 heavy in PAO (I would say not).

Yeah, you may be right. It just looks way out of line. I also doubt there’s any PAO. Ravenol HLS looks to be the only PAO one. Makes sense given its price. $$$

looked on the Ravenol site, some pretty "serious" oils, but as noted serious prices!! cheap is not usually good + good is not cheap, but for many its good enough for a decent cost!!

Yeah, you may be right. It just looks way out of line. I also doubt there’s any PAO. Ravenol HLS looks to be the only PAO one. Makes sense given its price. $$$

There has to be some PAO there.
Check ASTM methodology on Castrol 5W30 C3 and Mobil1 5W30 ESp.

Castrol is D93 and M1 ESP is D92 and the others are D92, however Pennzoil is also D93. Means it’s probably right up there with ESP under D92.

Castrol is D93 and M1 ESP is D92 and the others are D92, however Pennzoil is also D93. Means it’s probably right up there with ESP under D92.

It has all the approvals, would not sweat it out.

When the Ecodiesel had the MS11106 oil spec (before it changed to CJ4) the best UOA results I saw came from Mobil1 ESP 5W30, only C3 type oil with moly in the additives.

What's D92 and D93?

If I do choose to use a C3/LL-04 oil (will be running a fill of M1 10W-30 high mileage next OCI to see how that does), it will be Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. It's a near 100% GTL based oil (per its SDS), has the right certs, impressive specs, and is available down the street from me for $27 (pre-rebate) per 5qt jug. Looking at a VOA of it, starting TBN is around 7.0 and seems to hold up well in the U.S. (drops to around 3 in 5k miles). After a rebate, I can still keep my oil changes to ~$50 (9qt sump).

If I do choose to use a C3/LL-04 oil (will be running a fill of M1 10W-30 high mileage next OCI to see how that does), it will be Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. It's a near 100% GTL based oil (per its SDS), has the right certs, impressive specs, and is available down the street from me for $27 (pre-rebate) per 5qt jug. Looking at a VOA of it, starting TBN is around 7.0 and seems to hold up well in the U.S. (drops to around 3 in 5k miles). After a rebate, I can still keep my oil changes to ~$50 (9qt sump).

Can you share what is impressive about Pennzoil Platinum Euro L?
Pennzoil does not state NOACK, HTHS in pds. Last time they stated NOACK for Euro L it was 11%! That is actually mediocre at best.

Can you share what is impressive about Pennzoil Platinum Euro L?
Pennzoil does not state NOACK, HTHS in pds. Last time they stated NOACK for Euro L it was 11%! That is actually mediocre at best.

Given that it’s 100% GTL, I have a hard time believing it’s 11%. I’m guessing it’s around 8%. HTHS doesn’t really matter for C3 5W-30s. They are ALL essentially the same (3.5-3.6). Also, I read that 229.51 has a 10% volatility max? The flash point (remember it’s tested using D93) is impressive and cold pour is better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back