Mobil 1 AP and EP nearly the same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the local wally world picking up some clearance...

Happened to notice M1 AP is now cheaper than Castrol gold bottle and only 1 dollar more then M1 EP.

Would you now buy M1 AP?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yes, AP is supposed to use better, newer, anti-oxidants than any previous formula. Yes use AP.

But 0w20 EP supposedly has a good % of PAO...

I cant find anything about AP..

Honestly I change the oil every 6months or upto 10000miles for warranty anyway.

so if you arent going to run it 15000 or more miles is it still better?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes, AP is supposed to use better, newer, anti-oxidants than any previous formula. Yes use AP.

But 0w20 EP supposedly has a good % of PAO...

I cant find anything about AP..

Honestly I change the oil every 6months or upto 10000miles for warranty anyway.

so if you arent going to run it 15000 or more miles is it still better?

I'll use EP thanks

Originally Posted By: Rand
But 0w20 EP supposedly has a good % of PAO...I cant find anything about AP.. Honestly I change the oil every 6months or upto 10000miles for warranty anyway.so if you arent going to run it 15000 or more miles is it still better?

Use the best oil you can afford. Whatever your oil change interval (OCI), the better oil will leave cleaner pistons at the end of any length OCI, although its true to some extent there may not be much difference if you dump the oil before it begins to oxidize heavily. Some diff, maybe not much, for shorter OCI's. ....
M1 EP & AP 0w20 have the same ~65% PAO, but the products are distinguished by other ingredients, so the better one is AP, according to Exxon-Mobil.
https://www.exxonmobil.com/sds is where they all are. (1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED is PAO, by the way.)

One other clue M1 AP could be a better formula than EP is that PQIA found the 5w30 flavor of AP had a very low 8.5% NOACK, beat only by the PAO/ester expensive Ravenol DXG 5w30 dexos1 Gen2 stuff at 6%.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Look at the "price per unit" in red...no where near similar for EP and AP.

Wonder what the AP really rings up?

This. Did you check the actual price tag to see if the SKU matched...?

Price per unit isn't correct- 5 qts x 32 oz per qt x $0.933 per oz= $149.28, so something's obviously off, even for AP
lol.gif

I'd run the AP. In 0w20, it looks like it has a lower pour point and higher flash point than 0w20EP, although they are close. I also wonder what the NOACK is for each of them?

I check things on the scanner at Walmart … recently found some Valvoline MST with yellow tags and it scanned full price …
Scanner was 40’ from clearance section so back it went and found PP euro that scanned per tag …

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Oh Mobil...how much money have u lost with this AP oil?
None; especially when you mark up a product 2.x or more the cost of what it does to make it and its seemingly high price makes your former flagship oils seem like a bargain in comparison so they fly off the shelf.

I was in the big WM near my work yesterday at the AP there was still around $40.
The vanilla M1 was on rollback, so I picked up a jug of 0W20 for my daughter's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back