Changing light bulbs that are 20' up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have some recessed lights about 20' up in a living room. I really want to put in retro LED kit, so I need to touch the light fixture and cannot just use a long pole.

It's a varnished wood floor over a crawl space so I cannot bring in some heavy lift.

Ladder, scaffold would be unnecessary.

It will be easier to find a large combination ladder as opposed to a really large folding ladder.

EDIT: Scaffold on wheels would be much safer, a combo ladder used at an A frame ladder is a little scary but setting up scaffold is a pain.

Last edited:
How about just buying an LED flood light bulb. I use R-20 LED bulbs. As my halogen bulbs burn out they get the R-20 LED. You should be able to get an LED bulb in any size. Amazon will have them. I realize you still have to deal with the height. How about using a 20 ft extension pole (common at Home Depot) and rubber bulb suction gizmo (again at Home Depot). Clear the area, put down a large tarp. Put on safety glasses and a hard hat (seriously) and see if you can unscrew the existing bulb. It might come free but then you have to close down the extension sections and that gets a bit dicey. The alternative is to rent scaffolding. I really don't think you need the retro kit as I understand, unless I am missing something about your description of what you currently have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
As my halogen bulbs burn out they get the R-20 LED.

It's just so hard to find them over 550 lumens without costing an arm & a leg.....

Not sure how tall you are and how comfortable you are on a ladder. I used one of these on my stairs standing on top. It was stable for me. I think the height I needed to clear was 17 feet and I was replacing a light fixture.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It's just so hard to find them over 550 lumens without costing an arm & a leg.....

The lower watt ones are subsidized. How many times are you going to change this, once? Pay the $15. I'd test it in a lower-level fixture to make sure the color balance etc are what you like before the big climb.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Have some recessed lights about 20' up in a living room. I really want to put in retro LED kit, so I need to touch the light fixture and cannot just use a long pole.

It's a varnished wood floor over a crawl space so I cannot bring in some heavy lift.

It could be worse.............

I had to replace a fan with a chandelier 2 years ago - 20' up. I used scaffolding - 2 vertical sections. Yes a pain to setup, but imo, the safest. Get the safety railings as well. Glad I got them for my work.
Use doubled heavy cardboard or plywood on cardboard to protect your floors. And get the wheels, easier to move around. They delivered to my home. $200 all in for the weekend.

If you use a ladder, your butt checks are gonna be sore the next day.
shocked.gif

I worked at a place that had a small electric vertical bucket lift. Just went straight up and down but would go well over 30'. It was on wheels and you just moved it where you wanted to go and take the ride.

Something like this. Don't know what the rental situation is around you.

Personnel Lifts

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I worked at a place that had a small electric vertical bucket lift. Just went straight up and down but would go well over 30'. It was on wheels and you just moved it where you wanted to go and take the ride.

Something like this. Don't know what the rental situation is around you.

Personnel Lifts

On construction job sites they're called "1 MAN LIFTS." And, they CAN get the job done.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Do you understand you're going to spend +$50 to rent a ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back