GL4 and/or GL5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Car's has GM (Opel) F16 5 speed synchronized manual gearbox.
Since it is quite an old gearbox, i couldn't find any official information about the correct fluid type.
But many says it should be 75w-90 GL-4.
My friend is Motul's dealer here. And on the bottles of gearbox oil, i have seen API STANDARDS as API GL-4/GL-5
This is a little confusing. I coudln't find any Motul product with GL-4 API Standart alone.
If GL-4 and GL-5 is something different, how an oil can meet both standarts ?
So is it just something like All-Season Tires? (Which is not the best for summer and not the best for winter. But can be used in any season)
Should i buy prefer GL-4 over GL4/GL5?
Regards

I would not use the GL4/Gl5 combination. Both Amsoil & Redline (and a few others) produce a GL4 gear oil without the GL5 added on. That's what I'd use for manual transmission...and I believe of the 2 aforementioned products, you'll find most people use the Redline MT90, which is SAE 75W-90.

unless you need a GL-5 for your application (such as Subaru or Porsche)

I would skip dual rated gear oil and get a GL-4 only.

Redline has several options available in gl-4 with different viscosity.

Thanks for replies.
In my country, unfortunately there are German and Russian oil brands.(Except Motul)
Liqui Moly #20012 is also specified as GL4+ (GL4/GL5)

Last edited:
Motul Motylgear 75W90 will probably do the job. Or Castol Syntrans Multivehicle..or even Castrol Syntrans Transaxle. My favorite is the last one, it's a GL4+ but it should do ok in your GL4 application.

Originally Posted By: NICAT
Thanks for replies.
In my country, unfortunately there are German and Russian oil brands.(Except Motul)

Ravenol makes a few GL-4 ONLY manual gearbox/transaxle fluids, and I'm guessing that you CANNOT get the Red Line everyone on here is suggesting, there, correct?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: NICAT
Thanks for replies.

Ravenol makes a few GL-4 ONLY manual gearbox/transaxle fluids, and I'm guessing that you CANNOT get the Red Line everyone on here is suggesting, there, correct?

No unfortunately.
But we have ravenol here.
Anyway, there are Russian giants Lukoil and Gazpromneft fluids which have GL4 Only fluids. But they are Semi-synthetic. Not Fully synthetic oils.

I consider GL5 exceeds GL4 , other than (possible lack) of dedicated manual trans FM, which isn't part of GL4 (now obsolete) specifications anyway.
This so called dedicated FM package in GL4 behaves unpredictably in use, and behaves inconsistently in differing manual trans.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
I would not use the GL4/Gl5 combination. Both Amsoil & Redline (and a few others) produce a GL4 gear oil without the GL5 added on. That's what I'd use for manual transmission...and I believe of the 2 aforementioned products, you'll find most people use the Redline MT90, which is SAE 75W-90.

Why are you against a dual-rated fluid? There are tons of them out there and they work fine. Motul Gear 300 comes to mind.

Can you please tell me if i can use 85W-90 instead of 75w-90 ?
i couldn't found any oil with GL-4 alone except 85w-90.
For my gearbox 75w-90 is recomended.
Regards

What you want is oil with similar kv40 and kv100 viscosity...as close to the OEM otherwise changing gears will become notchier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back