Recommended Motorcycle GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at the following. I'm open to suggestions to alternatives. There does not appear to be many options that I can find.

Garmin zūmo® 396 LMT-S
Garimin zūmo® 595LM
TomTom Rider 550

Do you need a motorcycle specific gps?

Last time I looked at these, they were quite expensive and the only benefits were weatherproofing and some way to hear directions while riding.

If you already have a newer smartphone then you just need a waterproof case for it and a RAM mount and you’re set. You can also add a basic Sena or Cardo speaker setup to your helmet to hear instructions. This gives you a much better navigation system since it pulls live traffic data and you can take and place calls while riding.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Garmin Zumo is the way to go and get the best one you can afford.

I have a Garmin BMW Motorrad Navigator IV, which I use on my Sportbikes. I use RAM Mounts and powered cradles, so it's easy to move it from one bike to the next, or ride without it if I don't want it on the bike I'm riding at the time.

The latest model is the Garmin BMW Motorrad Navigator V.

Last edited:
It will give ypou something to look at while you run into the back of another vehicle.There are you tubes of people on mpotorcycle running in to all sorts of things. Retards, funny though

I have a Sena headset and i use my smartphone with a waterproof case on a ram mount. If im not using the rand McNally i can ask google for directions via my headset and she/he/it gives me turn by turn through the bluetooth so i dont have to look down at the screen.

Last I knew the Main problem using cheap car GPS is that the Bluetooth standard does not support the motorcycle Bluetooth voice over comms standard. That said I have a Zumo 5xx and the powered cradle ..also the montana or oregon and quick cradles also work well. Problem with a phone in that role is if you lose coverage you also lose map unless you take the time to download the area maps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
It will give you something to look at while you run into the back of another vehicle.

True that.... you need to have discipline to only view it at critical times

I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT on two bikes now. Big issue, and perhaps it's mostly my eyesight, but even at 100% brightness can't see screen in New Mexico/Arizona sun. Totally washed out even with shield to shade screen. Not really the sun shining on screen but against ambiant light. I've been thinking of a MC specific Garmin model because of this but balked due to cost.

I just write down my turns on a wide piece of masking tape on the gas tank. Probably about time to join the 20th century.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I just write down my turns on a wide piece of masking tape on the gas tank. Probably about time to join the 20th century.
grin.gif

LOL, never would have thought of that one.

I don't like looking at anything except the road and occasionally scenery (have to be careful with that) while I ride. I have pretty good luck with bluetooth connection from helmet intercom (Nolan B5) to my phone and Google maps running on my phone with turn-by-turn voice prompts playing in the helmet speakers. Download as an offline map/route before embarking so as to cover any areas with spotty cellular signal. Phone inside jacket pocket. Main problem is route creation with Google maps-- even set to avoid interstates and tolls, etc, it can be a challenge to make the route I want (specific curvy two laners etc), and in particular once at the destination, trying to get Google maps to simply reverse the same route doesn't seem to work? I've had to set the return route from square one. I don't like that but so far it's not enough to get me to drop $500 or whatever on a riser mounted GPS. I know their turn by turn voice prompt can be piped into my helmet same way, but just not ready to spend the money for one yet.

Best solution if riding with one or more other bikes is elect the rider with the mounted GPS to be leader and not worry about it :~)

An automotive GPS will work just fine with one of these as a p
rotective rain barrier. never had an issue in 10+ years
smile.gif
. I did just recently upgrade to a Garmin bluetooth unit to hear either thru my helmet comm or H-D stereo.

Last edited:
If you don't need the motorcycle-specific features, you'll have a lot more and less expensive options to choose from.

I've used Garmin Nuvis for years and they serve my needs well. You can make them a little more weather resistant by sealing off the openings (SD card and speaker) - I use electrical tape. If I'm riding into a hurricane I'll just stow it away.

The only thing they lack that I wish they didn't is the dedicated power connection that the motorcycle-specific GPS's have - those connectors tend to be a lot more durable than mini or micro USB ports. Every Nuvi I've ever owned became inoperable because of the mini USB ports failing in some way (broken solder joints or the actual contacts getting damaged). Vibration + exposure to elements = dead little USB ports.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Best solution if riding with one or more other bikes is elect the rider with the mounted GPS to be leader and not worry about it :~)

Agreed. Unfortunately I'm planning this trip and will be leading
grin.gif
Turn by turn piped into bluetooth is a must.

I've landed on using my iPhone with a LifeProof case. I'm now reviewing multiple motorcycle based GPS apps for the iPhone. Currently checking out Scenic, ESR and Rever. Even after buying offline maps to my heats desire for each, it's the fraction of a cost of a Zumo 395LM, which seems to have spotty reviews.

Originally Posted By: troop
An automotive GPS will work just fine with one of these as a p
rotective rain barrier. never had an issue in 10+ years
smile.gif
. I did just recently upgrade to a Garmin bluetooth unit to hear either thru my helmet comm or H-D stereo.

Yes, that ^^^ ... me too... :eek:)

Whenever I use the GPS I click it on the base and if Im on a trip, I use the same water proof cover that you do.
Best of all (and trust me I am not cheap) I buy the cheapest and smallest GARMIN GPS for two reasons.

1. I could care less what happens to it, meaning if it got stolen or whatever. I dont need to be paranoid about leaving it on the bike when traveling.

2. The smaller the better for me, sits on a handle bar mount of my Road King, all I need from a GPS is to tell me which way to go, time and distance.
I have no desire for more electronics as my bike is my salvation from electronics in my world, I in the security industry and as much as I love my field, I also love my time off. :eek:)

As a side note, as normal in the USA, people always buy bigger for some reason, so its getting hard to find small screen GPS, which is retarted.
MY Garmin is less then a 3 inch screen, fantastic. But the public thinks they are getting a deal on large screens, when the large screens, all they are for, is for the maker to sell more [censored] on the screen.

Click-This is the size I have, though I... bought anymore

Funny thing is, Garmin, shoots themselves in the foot, as you can use a phone GPS in a more compact version they what Garmin now sells.
Maybe its just me and no one else wants a simple small screen with arrows.

With the above said, I would only buy Garmin, no matter what model.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a small GPS, but there's a couple of things that might not work for me, and I would hate to spend to money to find out I was right. Like not being able to hear the turn prompts, or able to see the screen in perfect light conditions. How well can you see the screen in bright sunlight?.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I like the idea of a small GPS, but there's a couple of things that might not work for me, and I would hate to spend to money to find out I was right. Like not being able to hear the turn prompts, or able to see the screen in perfect light conditions. How well can you see the screen in bright sunlight?.,,

You will not hear the turn prompts and you will not see the screen well in bright sunlight.

I use the GPS for trips to the beach and mountains, serves its purpose perfect for me. I dont need to hear the GPS (nor do I want too) and I can see it well enough in bright sunlight to know how much further to the next exit on the interstate or next turn on the local street.
But since you asked, you certainly are not going to get a super great image in bright sunlight (you most likely would not be happy if asking) but its good enough for me and a saving grace that I no longer need to rely on road maps.

Last edited:
So if you can't hear the prompts. or see the screen in all types of sunlight, you must have to constantly stare at it all the time so you don't miss a turn. That wouldn't very useful to me, especially on a long trip. There's gotta be something better then that for navigation.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back