Who has done the Seafoam "cloud" and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it by accident once when a friend poured a pint of diesel into my exhaust for a "prank" he didn't tell me until I'd been trying to diagnose it for nearly an hour
eek.gif

Honestly, some people swear by it and some people think it's just a hype.

Me, I have done it once and never again
laugh.gif

I have because I didn't know any better. Yes it makes a smoke show, but so does CRC GDI IVD. I don't know if CRC works by the "seafoam method", but it is a very good cleaner if sprayed directly onto affected parts. (intake valves in my case)

I have done it before I knew better. It didn't seem to do anything other than make a smoke show.

I use water through the PCV hose to attempt to do some cleaning on my caprice and Cutlass. Water is free. It doesn't cause a smoke show though. I have done seafoam years ago on a couple of my cars but I can't say for sure whether it helped or was in my head.

Seafoam sprayed down into the secondary rods of my carburetor and letting it soak did fix a major surge and lack of power on my caprice a few months ago. Obviously the secondaries jets had a blockage of some kind it cleaned out.

Last edited:
I've done overnight piston soaks on a 1ZZFE and J35A7 w/active VCM. Lots of smoke and it had the desired effect of reducing oil consumption.

Last edited:
It works, but you have to let the engine soak for a very long time, like days.

Not just an hour, that does nothing.

I've done seafoam and MMO soaks to saturn s-series. Works. I've also done water decarbs in the intake of a running one. Also works.

These cars run dirty and get carboned up, which robs timing and makes them run poorly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've done seafoam and MMO soaks to saturn s-series. Works. I've also done water decarbs in the intake of a running one. Also works.

Does Seafoam work better than plain water?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It works, but you have to let the engine soak for a very long time, like days.

Not just an hour, that does nothing.

01.gif

Lol the amount of guys on here that think they are chemists never ceases to amaze me! You think because you read the MSDS sheet that you know exactly what is in SeaFoam??? C'mon guys there are proprietary ingredients that are NEVER listed in detail on an MSDS, To easy for someone to copy! So yes, the MSDS says alcohol and kerosene, but I'd bet you a paycheck that is not the ONLY things in it and certainly NOT the ACTIVE ingredients!

Seafoam has its purpose and it does work, there have been too many tests and testimonies for me to believe otherwise. I use it in OPE and many other things with great luck, I've also found B-12 to work just as good but cheaper.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Seafoam has its purpose and it does work, there have been too many tests and testimonies for me to believe otherwise. I use it in OPE and many other things with great luck, I've also found B-12 to work just as good but cheaper.

Can you link to some of the tests? Not testimonials or YouTube videos, I mean actual proper tests with measured before and after results.

I'm sure some other products would have worked also but I went with the seafoam because of other people's positive experiences. It fixed my carb issues basically within a few hours of it soaking in the secondaries. For combustion chamber decarb I would just use water because it's free and probably works as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back