Hyundai 3.3L GDI, solid tappets, oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2017 Santa Fe with the Lambda 3.3L, I was planning on running PP or PUP 5W-30 as it meets all the mfr specs. But then I was reading the owner's manual and at 60k miles it says to listen to the valves and adjust the tappet clearances if necessary. I have 28k on mine.

So I found a video on YouTube on the engine and sure enough, flat tappets.

Would the PUP or PP be enough if they are SN rated? Should I use an additive with moly? BTW, the tappets are DLC coated.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Flat tappets in a 2017? What?

I know. I was surprised as well.....

And 3 timing chains .... nice design
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
And 3 timing chains .... nice design
smile.gif

Yes, I will be doing all maintenance according to severe service schedules.

From Shell:

Alternative recommendations: Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 / Rotella T6 5W-40; >0°F, FormulaShell Synthetic SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil / FormulaShell SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil / Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W-30

Rotella yay!

From Shell:

Alternative recommendations: Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 / Rotella T6 5W-40; >0°F, FormulaShell Synthetic SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil / FormulaShell SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil / Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W-30

Rotella yay!

Honest question: How can they recommend T6 5w40 when they no longer dual certify it and it doesn't meet any of my car's required specs?

P.S. Mystery solved. If you use the Shell oil selector, it will list "global brand" oil and the recommendations will ignore EPA and CAFE stuff. If you use the Pennzoil oil selector, it will assume you are driving it in the US (and not somewhere else) and indicate just what your US manual says.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What does the owners manual recommend?

Manual recommendations include:

API Service SM or later
ILSAC GF-4 (or above),
ACEA A5 (or above), A3/B3 allowed

5w30 is recommended for CAFE, but 5W40 and 10W30 are allowed.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

API Service SM or later
ILSAC GF-4 (or above),

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 meets except the Ilsac energy conserving thing. By the way you started the thread, I assume that your main concern is the tappets not the trees. The 40 grades have less restrictions on EP additives. You may want to check Pennzoil vs Mobil vs Castrol specsheets and UOA here to see which has nice ZDDP and possibly moly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Usually the valves recess into the heads and take up clearance, no noise.

That sounds plausible

You don’t adjust the valves on these. The lifter “buckets” are a predetermined thickness. You would have to pull the cams out of the heads and order the corresponding size (thickness) buckets according to your valve clearance measurements. The only time you ever mess with valve clearance is if you are assembling new head castings with new cams. Fear not. You will never have to (or want to) mess with this. I have a Lambda in my Santa Fe. 186k and quiet as a church mouse.

Edit; I have in fact set valve clearance on 3.3, 3.5 and 2.7 Kia V-6’s. It is tedious and I had to order almost all of the lifter buckets in different thicknesses. Again, new head castings and new cams.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier

API Service SM or later
ILSAC GF-4 (or above),

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 meets except the Ilsac energy conserving thing. By the way you started the thread, I assume that your main concern is the tappets not the trees. The 40 grades have less restrictions on EP additives. You may want to check Pennzoil vs Mobil vs Castrol specsheets and UOA here to see which has nice ZDDP and possibly moly.

Well, It is my position that since my manual says SM[even says SL is ok if SM is not available], then they are not too worried about ZDDP and cats. I have a couple gallons of dual certified SM Rotella T-6 5W40 laying around. I am tempted to try that.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Gads. Just enjoy your vehicle and quit fretting about what might be. Ed

Thanks for you help.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back