ZF8 Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bust bought a new Ram and was reading up on Fluid types. I assumed they still used ATF4. Just found out this 8 speed used a ZF8 fluid that's crazy expensive. Starting at 27 bucks a quart or so.
The good news is Ram says it's a life-time fluid and I'll never need to change it. (at least not till the warranty is up).
lol.gif

Anyone here done this fluid change yet? No dip stick and a complex process from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Google ZF8 Bob. There have been a few discussions on this. Our search function doesn’t work well.

Thanks, will check it out.

Lifetime fluid...LOL.

That's what Toyota said about my Tacoma (Aisin-Warner A750) when they came out. Then they revised it to 100K...then 60K.

I hit 200K on my truck a while back and just did my 2nd full fluid exchange myself. Same setup - no dipstick. There will be a procedure you can do on your Ram, most likely. It will probably be similar to my A750 - drain pan, refill, disconnect cooler line, start truck, let the amount you got from the pan pump out, refill pan, repeat until you've run however many quarts through to equal system capacity (for mine it's around 12 quarts). Then you'll need to get the fluid to a certain temp in order to check proper pan level (mine has a check plug - when fluid trickles out, you're at correct level). The dealer will use a scan tool plugged into the OBD receptacle that will tell them fluid temp. Doing it without that, on the Tacoma, requires using a wire to bridge 2 ports in the OBD receptacle. Then you move the shifter from neutral to drive several times, and, when the tranny fluid is in the required temp range, a light on the instrument cluster illuminates.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Just bought a new Ram and was reading up on Fluid types. I assumed they still used ATF4. Just found out this 8 speed used a ZF8 fluid that's crazy expensive. Starting at 27 bucks a quart or so.
The good news is Ram says it's a life-time fluid and I'll never need to change it. (at least not till the warranty is up).
lol.gif

Anyone here done this fluid change yet? No dip stick and a complex process from what I've seen.

I have a ZF 8HP45 in my 2 Series. It sees the road course and drag strip every now and then, so I'm changing it at 60,000 miles.
ZF states:

In case of above-average operating conditions, such as:
- frequent freeway driving in the upper speed range
- offensive, sporty driving style
- frequent trailer operation
it is recommended to refresh (change) the oil of the automatic transmission every 100,000 km or no later than after 8 years.

More information can be found here.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I have a ZF 8HP45 in my 2 Series. It sees the road course and drag strip every now and then, so I'm changing it at 60,000 miles.
ZF states:

In case of above-average operating conditions, such as:
- frequent freeway driving in the upper speed range
- offensive, sporty driving style
- frequent trailer operation
it is recommended to refresh (change) the oil of the automatic transmission every 100,000 km or no later than after 8 years.

More information can be found here.

I'll probably change the pan (which has builtin filter) and fluid at 50K to get must of the break in sludge removed. Then just drain and fill after that.

I always use a cheap walmart garden sprayer for all my ATF changes. Works like a champ. I simply pump it a few pumps and let the air pressure push the fluid into the transmission. No tedious hand pumping.

I'll have to remember that, a sprayer. I have one or two changes coming up. I did use a hose and a funnel on the truck, not sure which is easier.

Or you can do what I did:

Get a cheap container (I use a 2.5 gallon gas can), thread in a barbed fitting, and use some nylon tubing and a valve.

I set it on the engine and let gravity do the work. Think I spent $15 at Lowe's.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Or you can do what I did:

Get a cheap container (I use a 2.5 gallon gas can), thread in a barbed fitting, and use some nylon tubing and a valve.

I set it on the engine and let gravity do the work. Think I spent $15 at Lowe's.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/8-...ASABEgJH2fD_BwE

IMO these are well worth the investment for anyone, even DIY'ers. I have 3 of them and they are incredibly useful.

Originally Posted By: Dave1027
I always use a cheap walmart garden sprayer for all my ATF changes. Works like a champ. I simply pump it a few pumps and let the air pressure push the fluid into the transmission. No tedious hand pumping.

Cool idea.
cool.gif

Bust bought a new Ram and was reading up on Fluid types. I assumed they still used ATF4. Just found out this 8 speed used a ZF8 fluid that's crazy expensive. Starting at 27 bucks a quart or so.
lol.gif

My good friend brian at BND will make you some fluid, it is much better than most. He has been formulating fluids for ZF slushboxes for a decade now, very experienced.

If I didn't have to drop the exhaust down my 2014 RAM fluid and pan/filter change would have been real easy. And the level is simple, just like a rear diff it is full when it runs out the fill port!

lol.gif

I would buy one quart of the ZF8 fluid, have a VOA done, then compare it to your favorite one size fits all monkey pee and decide if it’s suitable. What do the ZF engineers know? They only designed an 8 speed automatic transmission.

Last edited:
lol.gif

I did not read rest of posts, but welcome in the world of European engineering
smile.gif

ZF fluid in general is expensive and forget what Dodge is saying.
ZF recommends fluid change (NOT FLUSH!!!!!!) every 60-75k. Stick to that!
Change fluid and filter. Change as much fluid gets out by nature of gravitational pull. Again, do not flush it.
It is expensive fluid, but it is IMO best transmission available, period.
Now, if you are still [censored] off about price, use Valvoline Maxlife, Redline DTF6 or DTF4. I know some BMW owners use Valvoline Maxlife but they cut fluid change interval in half. A LOT of BMW owners use Redline.
I personally use ZF6 in my X5 (I have six speed).

I have about 2 years before my first fluid change (I drive about 25-30K a year). By then they'll be that much more info on reliable alternatives. Worst case scenario I'll suck it up and buy the OEM oil.

Cool thing about Rams with the 3.6/ZF8 is you have full clearance to the trans pan. No exhaust or anything in the way.

I would imagine the other cost with doing a pan drop and filter change is as mentioned above. You toss the whole plastic pan and replace it since the filter is integrated into the pan. Nice thing is no messing with gaskets or RTV. The seal is bonded to the pan.

I have to look at it closer, but when I glanced at the plastic pan on my '17, it looked like there was a drain plug on it, unless what I saw was a boss cast into it for the magnet, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back