Oil filter to oil cooler line replacement choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my truck. Mine is leaking bad.. Like half a quart in less than 400 miles bad. Lol.

Surprisingly, Rock Auto only has 2 options for the 4x4. OE and Dorman.

I was really hoping to find a Sunsong since I've had such good luck with them in the past, but they only had options for the 2WD's. I know the correct answer is to buy OE, but what are the chances of the Dorman also being a relabeled Sunsong part? Parts stores parts seem to be and according to their site, they are OE suppliers too.

Basically, I'm just looking to save ~$35 on what appears to be a simple part.

Metal line or rubber line ? Engine oil ? Should not be subject to any more than 100 psi . Probably less .

Photo please .

GM vehicles had many problems with these lines a few years ago and I replaced them on my 06 Malibu just 2 years ago. I found the AC Delco part for $35 delivered to my door.

Now if you had to do this job on the cheap then perhaps some way of clamping these lines with some small but stong clamp might do the job. A small strong muffler style clamp over top of the crimped sleeve might work.

or

If you could split/cut off the large external sleeve without harming the rubber hose, then a simple hose clamp might do the job. The sleeve simply acts as a clamp but they need tightening.

repair video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKmf2IdHt4

Last edited:
Hmmmm. If GM had issues with these, would the OE part be updated? If not, I am not sure I want it..

Last edited:
You should be able to cut those crimps off and there should be a nipple there you can use. I did that with some OE coolant hoses. Then just use some regular oil hose and clamps.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
You should be able to cut those crimps off and there should be a nipple there you can use. I did that with some OE coolant hoses. Then just use some regular oil hose and clamps.

I was wondering about that . Reason I made the comment about pressure being less than 100 psi . Check the pressure rating ( and price of parts ) and if worried , double clamp the hose .

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hmmmm. If GM had issues with these, would the OE part be updated? If not, I am not sure I want it..

Valid thought .

If it is relatively easy to get at , I might take the chance and buy the cheaper after market part .

Buy the oe part. These items fail often and if yours is the year with the push in adapters at the radiator and oil filter housing buy those also. Alternately you can pull those adapters out and replace the o-ring inside. be careful not to lose the little clip that holds the line in place (just buy the adapters).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

The nipple may not have much in the way of barbs to retain the hose.

What I found is that even if you use a crimp sleeve, unless it locks into the fitting like the original, it won't stay put and will slowly back off the nipple. It might take a year or two to move 1/4" but it will eventually come free and when it does..big mess.

The crimp sleeves used from the factory look identical to what is used for air conditioning hoses. There are replacement crimp sleeves for AC hoses that are designed to lock into the groove on the fitting like the original. These might allow re-use of the oil cooler fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back