HONDA push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching quite a bit I've narrowed my options for push mowers to 2 choices: the Honda HRR216PKA or the HRR216VKA. They both come equipped with the 160cc Honda motor with the self-choke and fuel cut off switch; 2 features that I like. I have a couple of questions and need recommendations.

From what I can tell, the only difference in the models is one is self-propelled and the other isn't. My yard is a flat medium-sized suburban lot with mostly Bermuda grass that is healthy and thick. My current mower is not self-propelled and works just fine* as I am a young athletic guy. My concern with buying self-propelled is I understand they are more prone to breaking - more parts higher chance for something to break? But then I think of the ease with which the mower will glide. The price difference is negligible and I am willing to invest in something that will give me good service for years to come. Which one would you buy?

Lastly, what is the difference with buying a Honda mower at a dealer versus at a store like Home Depot? I have both within miles of my house and need recommendations on where to buy. Thanks in advance!

*I'm getting a new mower because my parents just bought a vacation home with a smaller yard and I am giving them my current 5 year old Craftsman 140cc mower to keep there.

Do Honda mowers still use hydraulic transmissions? If so, that is a concern.

But if they use a simple belt driven transmission like Toro Recyclers then definitely get propelled.

The 160cc engine is as good as it can get, assuming you don't need pro level features. In fact I think it's the engine that Harbor Freight made a clone of and sells under their Predator line.

I have a TroyBilt with a Honda Engine from Lowes.. bought it with a coupon from the USPS moving packet about 10 yrs ago.

Not sure how much better the Honda chassis would have been over the TroyBilt..

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Do Honda mowers still use hydraulic transmissions? If so, that is a concern.

But if they use a simple belt driven transmission like Toro Recyclers then definitely get propelled.

The 160cc engine is as good as it can get, assuming you don't need pro level features. In fact I think it's the engine that Harbor Freight made a clone of and sells under their Predator line.

GC Honda engines are not the master race GX Hondas. They're probably fine for little yards. Most mowers with Honda are going to be GC.

Propelled.
Hard to kill a Honda in a small yard, even the entry level Home Depot models.
I recently abused mine, forgetting to winterize, it sat for 2 years with the fuel valve open, and no stabilizer in the tank.
A shot of starting fluid, a quart of SEF, and by the end of the yard it was back to it's old self.
Straight 30 weight, currently Mobil 1630 in it.

I'd get the self propelled as well. Worst case, if the transmission goes, you can probably pull some parts and downgrade it back to a push only. The self propelled feature might be nice if you ever need your wife/kids/elderly/neighbors cut your grass for you.

Been posting in the consumer electronics forum about electric mowers. Like you, I can get some really thick Bermuda here in Oklahoma when the conditions are right and wondered if an electric cordless would handle it. All the reviews showed non-Bermuda grass on youtube. Didn't make me feel good about it. So, I've been looking at, and going to go ahead and take the plunge and get the HRX217VKA for 599 at home depot. This one is self propelled with the 190 engine. I can still push a mower, but, why not??? If you mulch, supposedly this thing is the mack daddy of the mulchers with its twin blade system. One thing I've learned researching Honda's, this particular mower is what the call the entry level. The real only difference between this one and the higher priced ones are electric start, blade cut off while engine running and an actual throttle control and the self propelled system is a little different, but the engine is the same.

go self propelled. i have used both . a older super recycler and a honda 216. both have proven engines. one thing i do not like about the honda is its rpm in use. mulchers need a lot of rpm to work well. the honda twin blade cut the grass to smaller pieces though. feed them clean oil and gas and clean the under deck and both will last a long time.

i love my hydrostatic drive Honda bagger for many years, their other self propelled bagger with the "flippers" is also great as i got one for my aunt. the dual blades cut + bag well even when wet + the rear opening door to the bag never clogs like chutes, close it to mulch!! it don't get any better IMO, got hers from HD + mail ordered mine from Wise Sales because HD did not carry that one. Stealers always cost more!!!

Last edited:
Get the push model. I think Honda uses ball bearing rear wheels that make it easier to push than your run of the mill mower. Self propelled mowers limit your finesse.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a TroyBilt with a Honda Engine from Lowes.. bought it with a coupon from the USPS moving packet about 10 yrs ago.

Not sure how much better the Honda chassis would have been over the TroyBilt

I have one of those from Lowes. Good engine except the choke mechanism could be better. As for the chassis, the wheels and hardware are decent. Now here's why I hate this mower. The deck design is totally screwed. The thing has absolutely no suction for picking up grass clippings and leaves. Instead it blows them out front.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Not sure how much better the Honda chassis would have been over the TroyBilt..

Same exact mower and 10 years like you. 93 octane and loads of fuel additives.
This what my 160 looks like. I did use Amsoil power foam in the combustion chamber let it soak over night. I’ll take a picture at the end of this season to compare. Runs better now. Didn’t have issues before but seemed to help it. Sorry getting a little off topic.

Last edited:
I've been mowing flat suburban yards for over 40 years with a push mower. Not self propelled. I've used self propelled when I helped a buddy run a lawn mowing business one summer and when I've used relatives'/friends mowers to mow their yards for them. I find the self propelled mowers to be less maneuverable and annoying in small yards. Couple that with the fact that whenever I hear a friend/neighbor complain of mower breakdown it's always the drive system that failed. I've had my daughters helping mow at about 12 years old and they had no trouble handling a push mower. Maybe you have to use a little bit more muscle, but, what's wrong with that? Just a little extra exercise. Keep it simple and skip the self-propelled.

I have a husqvarna push mower with the Honda 160 and find it to be under powered when the St. Augustine gets a little high, even using a relatively tall cutting height. Although I like the smoothness of the Honda, I wouldn't buy the 160 again for my purposes. If I were going self-propelled, I doubly wouldn't buy it.

Originally Posted By: RN89
Lastly, what is the difference with buying a Honda mower at a dealer versus at a store like Home Depot? I have both within miles of my house and need recommendations on where to buy. Thanks in advance!

Differences between the mower itself ? Absolutely nothing. Home Depot does NOT sell a 'special' version or lesser-quality model(s). Well, at least that's what the folks at the Honda dealer told me. What they did say was the difference will come when/if it needs service. Guess where you take it ? Not to Home Depot ! You take it to one of these dealers. They will fix it, using the same OEM Honda parts, etc, etc, but if I brought my Honda mower to them (I bought mine from a dealer), guess which they will fix first ?
smile.gif
They told me I will get faster service and weren't ashamed to say that.

I bought myself a Honda push last month. We can only buy at a dealer
up here. Anyway, I bought a push because I have a normal city lot with
obstacles to go around, (rock, trees,shrubs swing set, shed.) I'm giving
my 25 year old 18" Toro to my daughter. That was the perfect push mower
for me but everything now is 21"or 22". The Honda push is not too heavy.
It's about 70+ lbs and will be OK for flat land.

Starting 5 years with my VKA and it’s been perfect. Second plug and air filter replacement this spring and it started on the first pull, as usual. I bought an extra set of blades so I can do a mid-season swap quickly. My rear tires are almost bald but still have plenty of grip on my flat yard.

They are the same price everywhere, but if you have a Northern Tool near you and get the coupons, you can save $50. That’s how I bought mine.

Bitog related, I did a bunch of early oil changes to get the glitter out and currently running Pennzoil Euro L from a clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back