No sugar barbecue chicken/pork/beef

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been cutting out carbs and sugars and I have made barbecue chicken twice.. everyone that has tried it loves it. I have also made a pork brisket and a beef brisket. IMHO better than any of the local barbecue joints.

This is made on a charcoal grill using indirect heat and a drip pan with hot water for moisture. And adding hickory chips a few times for smoke to the hot coals.

Dry rub- coat meat lightly with brown mustard. Then in a small bowl i mix smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Season heavily before lighting the grill.

To the beef i added coriander and cumin.. i think i will add these to the other meats as well..or experiment once.

When the meat is about 30 mins from being finished i brush on G Hughes Smokehouse Sugarfree BBQ sauce.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-Hughes-Smokehouse-Sugar-Free-Hickory-Flavored-BBQ-Sauce-18-oz/40740655

- all of the good recipes i found called for Brown Sugar- I used none and do not think that i will want sugar based barbecue again.

You should try some Tandoori recipes. Works very well for chicken and we do goat with it as well. I have to get my wife to take the plate away otherwise there will be no left overs!

Hunt's Hickory & Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce, 18 Oz. ... Tomato Juice from Concentrate (Water, Tomato Paste), Brown Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Molasses, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Less Than 2% of: Natural Flavors, Mustard Bran, Tomato Fiber, Dehydrated Onion, Spice.

Its not sugar free

When i have to make weight for power lifting i use a lot of the G Hughes BBQ sauces, i love the stuff. Surprisingly good tasting for being sugar free glad you found this also i try to avoid excess sugars as well lets me eat more of other things.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Hunt's Hickory & Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce, 18 Oz. ... Tomato Juice from Concentrate (Water, Tomato Paste), Brown Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Molasses, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Less Than 2% of: Natural Flavors, Mustard Bran, Tomato Fiber, Dehydrated Onion, Spice.

Its not sugar free

not sure who said it was

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You should try some Tandoori recipes. Works very well for chicken and we do goat with it as well.

Agreed. One way to do it is to marinate chicken for 24 hours in plain yogurt and tandoori masala spice mix.

I'll have to try this.

Been wanting to try smoking beef brisket for a while, but they've always been too fatty for my liking.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Its not sugar free

not sure who said it was

No ADDED sugar perhaps, but sugar is still sugar be it granulated or syrup form. Milk has natural sugar in it.. 2 decent sized glasses of 2% (~4 cups) equal a Mountain Dew can.

On chicken thighs on the grill, I've been using a combination of things I've learned from my 1/2 Asian wife....couple of squirts of soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and sesame oil. It's really good.

Its not sugar free

Odd you bring up a BBQ sauce that the OP didn't even mention? Pop back from the dead?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
When the meat is about 30 mins from being finished i brush on G Hughes Smokehouse Sugarfree BBQ sauce.

Luv the G Hughes stuff.
Walmart has it.
33b17b2d-4ed0-4b5e-bbe6-910883ced001_1.dd3d503a79a515d0a9111a919c9d4236.jpeg

I season heavly several hours before cook time with this https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning-Multi-Pack-P1268.aspx, then 15 to 30 minutes before removing from the pit, slather with this!https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4KNrmKSa&id=E546A62B458E916DCCC7E8E11369C6C442A3702F&thid=OIP.4KNrmKSay_vcUcolRqWDlwHaMt&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simplycajun.com%2fProductImages%2f00JACKlarge.jpg&exph=350&expw=204&q=jack+miller%27s+barbecue+sauce&simid=607987927715807445&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

G hughes sauce

G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar-Free Hickory-Flavored BBQ Sauce, 18 oz:

Completely sugar-free formula for a guilt-free taste
Award-winning flavor goes well on just about anything
Tastes just like traditional sugary sauces
Hickory-flavored G Hughes BBQ sauce
Gluten-free
Size: 18 oz

Ingredients:

Ingredients: Crushed Tomatoes (Water, Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes), Apple Cider Vinegar, White Vinegar, Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Less than 2% of: Minced Onion, Lemon Juice (From concentrate), Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Ground Cinnamon, Natural Hickory Smoke, Spices, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Natural Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose

I think a road trip to WV is in order I cant find any good BBQ up here.

Originally Posted By: Rand
G hughes sauce

G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar-Free Hickory-Flavored BBQ Sauce, 18 oz:

Completely sugar-free formula for a guilt-free taste
Award-winning flavor goes well on just about anything
Tastes just like traditional sugary sauces
Hickory-flavored G Hughes BBQ sauce
Gluten-free
Size: 18 oz

Ingredients:

Ingredients: Crushed Tomatoes (Water, Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes), Apple Cider Vinegar, White Vinegar, Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Less than 2% of: Minced Onion, Lemon Juice (From concentrate), Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Ground Cinnamon, Natural Hickory Smoke, Spices, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Natural Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose

I think a road trip to WV is in order I cant find any good BBQ up here.

Go to Lexington KY and head towards Georgetown. Red State Barbecue http://www.redstatebbq.com/ its a gem.

However let me state that with a bag of charcoal a good grill and a bag of hickory chips you can do anything that any good bbq joint can do at home. Cook it SLOW.

I tried the G Hughes Honey flavored sauce on some pulled pork last night. I am not in love with it, the honey variety was all that I have found locally. I think it would have been good on a sandwich, but I am trying to limit carbs or I wouldn't be using sugar free sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back