Your Climate Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am quite foul tempered as of late due to the weather. I was born and raised in California. We all know about California weather. I grew up with fairly consistent, and sunny weather all my life. I had to leave the state for work 3 years ago, and now find myself in Michigan. I learned that I really like summer here for 1 reason, lush greenery. I fell in love with green grass and lush canopies of maple trees. Paradise to me is a green meadow, forest and a calm lake making soft water sounds.

But I am disappointed becausethis year with how long winter was. We had an ice storm the 3rd week of April, and we were experiencing 10 below average degree temperatures for 3 weeks of April. May is well underway, and many oak trees are just barely budding. I have come to the realization there might be other states better than Michigan, at least from my perspective. Don’t get me wrong, Michigan summers are gorgeous, with the beaches, Great Lakes, and forests, but it’s just too short for me. We only get a solid 5 months of green, and then back to clouds, cold, and graveyard scenery. So I want to know about your climates.

Is your climate ideal for you? What do you like and dislike about t? I am specifically wondering if you can suggest to me similar states to Michigan, where the grass is green, the trees are abundant, and the summers last longer. Are the summers miserably hot and muggy? We don’t get too hot up here. Let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
Flood season is behind us. Tornado season is mostly behind us ( only 21 so far ). Now we are in Mosquito season. That will carry us to football season.

4 seasons....
So it will be some variations over the years.

I think the usual cycle circle is 5-7 years, than repeating in some similar form...

I still remember playing basketball in 80+ degree weather when I was young in the middle of december, then next day coming home to 4 inches of snow and still pouring...

And got stories from my parents of winters with snow as big as a 1 level house...

This late winter/early spring was exceptionally long this year(I'm not far away in southern Ontario), so don't despair to much, odds are it won't happen again for a while.
Personally I like 4 seasons with a solid winter. 0 to 20F from Dec.15 to Mar. 15 with the odd 1' dump of snow would be ideal, as winter is much better if it consistently stays below freezing.
In the US I was impressed with the August weather in the Smokey Mountains, not too hot or humid. Going downhill though, it got miserable pretty fast with the heat and humidity toward the coast. Not many cities there at a good elevation though so it might be hard to find a job?

Spent most of my life in Florida on the West Coast. Was very familiar with heat, humidity, mosquitos, tornados and hurricanes. But not so much the changing of seasons. Now we're in the N. Georgia Mountains. Might be a bit biased but it is beautiful up here. Trees galore right next to a huge TVA created reservoir. Used our air conditioner for cooling only two days last year. Having said that, we get the seasons' changes here and in the Winter it probably looks no different than your current ones. If you need a large city to maintain employment or a higher income, this type of area might not be a good fit. That would most likely depend on your desires and skill set. Good luck in your endeavors.

Projected / predicted to hit 99 - 100F by Friday .

It gets hot in the summer . It gets cold in the winter .

We have tornadoes , thunder storms , wind , sand , hail , varying amounts of snow and ice . No volcano , tsunamis , hurricanes , land slides , sink holes . Had a mild earth tremor years ago .

Rain , occasionally ( frequent drought ) .

We do not have to like it .

PA. here.
Somewhat unusual here. Long but not very cold winter. General trend is warmer here over my lifetime (7 decades). We are likely to go right to hot weather soon.

I don't have an ideal climate, outside of an office. I like sunny days but find I can't actually work outdoors in the sun--get hot, sweaty and sunburnt. My bloodline is only slightly Irish but my skin tone, hair and sun tolerance is straight up Irish.

At the same time I get winter blues from being stuck indoors all day & not seeing sun nor green grass. I don't mind cold but long winter nights wear me down over winter.

We've been in a cooling cycle here, similar to the 70's and 80's decades; cool enough to still need heat at night.

Which is terrific - that last hot cycle I was seeing 118F in my backyard, and saw one period longer than a month where it never dropped below 100F any time of day or night ....

edit: I do not recall it even getting to 100F last year - if it did, it was only for a few hours in the late afternoon for one or two days ....

Last edited:
Tennessee is pretty good. We also got a longer and colder winter this season, but, as someone else said, it's variable, and we've enjoyed some pretty warm and short winters here lately.

Now it's 80s and 90s from now on, and we usually enjoy indian summers that last easily into late October, even November, and, there is the odd 70-degree day even through January.

Summers are hot and humid, with lows from July-Sept. sometimes not dipping below 80 degrees at nighttime for a couple of weeks at a time, which can get miserable.

We've been in rain season for a while now. In mid to late June, dry season will start, and will last until it turns cold in late November/December. That half of the year is best for the activities I enjoy (trail running, mountain biking, dirt bike trail riding).

Fall is my favorite season here, because it's dry, and starts turning cooler in early Oct.

Lived in Guam for 10 years....two seasons....hot or wet. Now in Oklahoma, 4 seasons. Some are rather quick. Summer can be long, say May to the end of September, but easily doable. We are now smack dab in tornado season. May is the worse for that here in Oklahoma, but it's something you look out for and be "weather aware." Forecasters have gotten way better on predictions and possible locations. It can get hot here, but as they say, it's a dry heat....but heat is still heat.

The stupid long winter jipped us from having a spring season. One week it was in the 40s and the next it was high 80s.
frown.gif

I have been in Southern Michigan all my life. We kind of got cheated out of some of our best spring weather this year.
All in all the four seasons are nice,and we do not have hurricanes,mudslides,earthquakes,droughts or even much tornado wise.

4 distinct seasons with mix of great and poor weather in Coastal New Hampshire. Typically the extreme cold or extreme heat is very temporary(like a few days tops) although this year we had extreme cold for weeks.

I could not ask for a better mix of weather and look forward to every season.

I live in the hottest city in the U.S., in the summer it's miserable. I hate the heat. In the winter it's wonderful though.

It'll be 105 today.

You experienced one of our bad winters. Some call it the longest January we've had. A few years ago we had one of our coldest and second snowiest winters of record. That February had only one day where the temperature was above 32°F. Some people were without water because the freeze went down to the supply line for the house. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to rewrite building codes because of our recent winters. Last year summer was a month late. This year winter dragged on a month longer than usual.

We here in Michigan don't like the winters and complain about it. Personally I think things are so bad in California with respect to cost of living and living space, that Michigan is a decent alternative. The money saved can buy you a lot of heat in the winter.

We don't know what the future winters will be like. I doubt this cold trend will be permanent. I remember six years ago we had a rather nice warm March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back