Is Euro 5W30 for Diesel Resource Conserving Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was browsing and reading for oils, good for motorcycles and all.

Came across this thread: http://www.r1messagenet.com/forums/5-r1-maintenance-technical/4-definitive-oil-thread.html

and http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/16-racers-corner/370873-recommended-oil-racing-5w30-10w40-2.html

Where they mention to use 5W30, without any issues and it might be better.

Question is, is Euro formulated for Diesel vehicles energy conserving? Also, would it be good in a motorcycle with wet clutch? Currently, I am using Rotella 15W40 and it's running flawlessly.

Why I ask, because I have about 25 quarts in stash, so why not use in a Civic and motorcycle together
smile.gif

I don't have access to oil bottle and will verify from it too. Thanks for the input and help.

I don't know about the wet clutch, but most Euro diesel oils, be they C3, A3/B4, or E6, E7, E9, will not be resource conserving, since all those specifications have elevated HTHS.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't know about the wet clutch, but most Euro diesel oils, be they C3, A3/B4, or E6, E7, E9, will not be resource conserving, since all those specifications have elevated HTHS.

Thank you, is this 5W30 more close to 5W40, being on thick side or no?

Yes, all those examples will have an HTHS around 3.5 or greater, by virtue of the specs they meet. The same applies to the Rotella T6 5w-30 I'm running now, which has a higher HTHS than say the ordinary ILSAC 5w-30.

I'm sure some of them would be suitable for motorcycle use, but trying to figure out which would be best, particularly from a friction modification standpoint, is another matter.
wink.gif

Yes, all those examples will have an HTHS around 3.5 or greater, by virtue of the specs they meet. The same applies to the Rotella T6 5w-30 I'm running now, which has a higher HTHS than say the ordinary ILSAC 5w-30.

I'm sure some of them would be suitable for motorcycle use, but trying to figure out which would be best, particularly from a friction modification standpoint, is another matter.
wink.gif

Does it mean I stay away from it and stick to Delvac and Rotella sort oils?

particularly from a friction modification standpoint, is another matter.
wink.gif

Yup. Just because it's not resource conserving does not necessarily mean it contains no friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
wink.gif

Yup. Just because it's not resource conserving doesn't not necessarily mean it doesn't contain any friction modifiers.

Does anyone know if friction modifiers are going to be less or same compared to any other Diesel oil, like Delvac/Rotella 5W40?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
wink.gif

Yup. Just because it's not resource conserving does not necessarily mean it contains no friction modifiers.

This! 5Wxy oils here ARE fuel conserving...but not in CAFE way... Look up for an ACEA descriptions on A3/B4/Cx oils

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Does it mean I stay away from it and stick to Delvac and Rotella sort oils?

If it were me, yes, I would likely do that. Now, in your automotive applications, I'd have no problem with a C3 oil, at least with conservative OCIs; it would at least be very safe.

The Rotella that had the appropriate JASO spec would still be my first choice, aside from a motorcycle specific oil, because we all know how expensive those can be. Viscometrically, there is nothing wrong with the European choices, it's just the friction modification aspect, in my view. I think an A3/B3 A3/B4 oil would be dandy in a lot of ways for motorcycles, assuming compatibility from the friction modification standpoint, and we cannot assume that compatibility.

Use recommended viscosity and spec. Putting mid saps oil in a motorcykel, i would never do that.

i recommend Castrol power 1. Did work nice in my bmw s1000rr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back