Used Oil Blotter Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been ripping the top off the oil filter box and putting a drop of oil on it for sometime now, seeing results on mileage and time, sometimes oil type if I know what went in. Observations without a clue what I'm looking at, just curiosity and adding to my mental data base. Today something I've only seen on really wasted oil, stuff that's been in for 40,000km or more. Not a good photo, but wanted to catch it in the light to show no absorbsion in 2 days, it's just sitting on top of the cardboard with a small ring around it. It was in a 2008 Camry 4 cyl, changed before it's mileage on the sticker, so maybe over 10,000km, but not 15,000km. Caltex 10W-30 of some sort. The centre spot was on something well over it's OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh heh. The back of the filter box top was my log book for the BMWs. Every oil change date miles, and other parts. Fit nicely between the washer tank and the right fender. When it got too thick, I tied the inch thick bundle together and tossed it the glove box

I did it with a 70/80 gm printer paper for consistency, a filter box 'card' is probably too thick for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Any chance that is coolant sitting on top of the oil?

Coolant was my first thought.

A Ryco filter box lid is what I consistantly have at hand, and consistancy is best for results. I have found the Ryco Syntec filter box to be much better, but I don't have one on hand everyday. No good comparing results on several different sorts of medium.

No coolant problems, but I do think it's water, today it has absorbed and shiny on top. In early for an oil change, perhaps it's been short tripping and it's acumulated condensation ? It's just such a very bad example for a well maintained vehicle. I had another Toyota in the day before, same engine...no oil on the dipstick, sludge under the cap. I think it's drop test is the one with the dark centre, and actually looks pretty good.

Had a Mitsubishi 380 (V6 Galant) in today, I've been looking after this car for some time, done a fair bit of work on it. The customer has followed me across the road to where I now work...and will now no longer be getting Mitsubishi oil and filters. Instead of A3/B4 synthetic 5W-30 it will now get semi 10w-30 A3/B3, and a Ryco filter. It's 10,000km over it's service interval, so that's 25,000km (15,000 m) on this oil.

I must label these blots, my memory is fading...anyway, the 380 is noted. In 24 hrs it has soaked in nicely, and still looks pretty clean. These are all petrol engine blots, and the ones with dark centres are not good at all to me, that one with the very dark centre has been there a week, and still shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back