Oil Life Monitor - Ford Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Fall I changed the oil on my '11 Mustang (V6), drove it about 500 miles and put it down for the winter. The OLM was right around 93%. I brought it up 2 weeks ago and the OLM was at 34%. It wasn't started during the storage period, just had a trickle charger on the battery. I'll reset the OLM and change the oil again this fall since I'll only put a few thousand miles on the car and I'm running full synthetic oil (Castrol 5w20 is in it now). I found it interesting that the OLM dropped 60% without it being run.

My 2009 F150 does exactly the same thing. It's set to expire at 6 months, no matter what. I simply go by miles. A quality oil will not go bad over many years of infrequent use.

The owner's manual says change after 12 months or when the oil's used up by mileage, which is usually around 10,000 miles. The OLM implements those instructions, so it'll time out after 12 months even if you don't start the engine again after a change.

I do not have this issue with my 1999 Alero, which seems to want me to change the oil every 5800 miles, irregardless of miles. But then again, that's close to my annual mileage on the car lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back