Now its my turn to get fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am not fired yet, but I think it is close. I work at a startup biotech. Got overwhelmed and made bad decisions. Completely my fault. Trying to find a new job before I get fired for real but am not sure if I can make it happen.

I am thinking about getting a regular job. Something not in science, but what would pay okay and would take someone with a PhD? I don't mind if it is outside or difficult etc.

I feel lousy...

You'll be OK. It'll take a while to land, but you will.

The intersection of Bio-tech (bio) and materials science is a new hot point. Do know if your skills translate, but it could be fun
smile.gif

Just got out of academia. I'm not too proud to go back though...

Pay is low. I'm not trying to get rich, but probably need to stay in California for my wife's job and it is expensive here.

If we knew your specific degree maybe we can offer better suggestions. Guessing it's in life sciences. Not sure of the job market in your area.

Biofuels research?

I have a friend with a PhD in Molecular Biology, he specialized himself out of a job in his field. He's been a very successful entrepreneur in personal investing & real estate, both commercial & residential, especially owning rental properties. He hasn't worked for "da man" for over 25 years.

Last edited:
I spent 16 years in post secondary education. I had a very satisfying career (Medicine and Medical Management mostly), but there were other options that would have been satisfying in completely different ways. A few ideas:
(1) fireman
(2) start a small business
(3) forest ranger

Don't limit your thinking to what you've focused on to this point. There are lots of other options.

No-one should be fired for making a mistake. There's an old saying, "The man who makes no mistakes makes nothing." But you need to be able to be objective about what went wrong and accept responsibility for your part of it. Blaming others is not an attractive option.

We all make mistakes. Not learning from your mistakes might be a firing offence.

Pharmaceutical sales, or some other life science based technical sales; maybe medical components like parts / maintenance for these robotic DaVinci surgical machines, or lab equipment you're familiar with from your school & work experience.

Run for a public office if you want to really get away from science based and rational stuff.

If you learn from your mistakes it's a good thing. If someone lost a life because of a mistake then that's different.

WD-40 got it wrong 39 times....... Look what happened to them.

Plenty of people consistently make bad decisions and stay employed. Strive/Work to improve and give off that impression and take ownership if needed and you stick about.

I am floored who stays and gos at the companies I work at.

Originally Posted By: joaks

I am thinking about getting a regular job. Something not in science, but what would pay okay and would take someone with a PhD? I don't mind if it is outside or difficult etc.

No experience "regular job"...how does $10/hr sound? Maybe you could be a pro golfer or baseball player.

Seriously though, has your mistake been discovered or are you just waiting until it comes to light? Be proactive, and apologize, come up with a plan to fix the mistake or make up for it somehow. It's easier for them to keep you than start over with someone new if they have some confidence that it won't happen again. You can't just run away and join the circus.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: joaks

No experience "regular job"...how does $10/hr sound? Maybe you could be a pro golfer or baseball player.

Seriously though, has your mistake been discovered or are you just waiting until it comes to light? Be proactive, and apologize, come up with a plan to fix the mistake or make up for it somehow. It's easier for them to keep you than start over with someone new if they have some confidence that it won't happen again. You can't just run away and join the circus.

Mistake as been discovered-I am hiding nothing.

In the aviation world, those of us that are professionals; 1) admit we recognize the mistake AND how it happened. 2) Take the steps to prevent a similar mistake. 3) Briefly articulate what those steps are. 4) Ask for help with the issue, right away if needed.

It could be as simple as "I took (x) risk, and it seemed at the time to be worthwhile" . Or "I believed in (x) person, and used him instead of (x) .. etc. I think you get my point here, honest articulation of the situation works towards solving it.

However, if someone comes to me and says "I don't know why I did that", they are gone, immediately. As they cannot (or will not) articulate the problem, and therefore are incapable of solving it.

FYI, asking for help often works, as even the most miserable of people often want to help.

I wish you well.

Last edited:
San Diego is a big city so you'll find another job if you do get fired. Maybe you are jumping the gun and think you are fired. Admit your mistake and talk to you boss.

What other mistakes did you have at this job ?
Do you have a resume so we can review ?
Please remove personal info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back