Thin 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go find my thread comparing some 5W-30. It should be on page 2 or 3 of this forum.

The new Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 is probably the thinnest 5W-30 I’ve seen. KV100 in the 9s I believe.

Edit: both PP d1g2 and Valvoline “Modern Engine” are 9.8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Not useful at all

No, he gave the absolutely perfect, concise answer to the question. KV isn't terrible useful, and all the ILSAC 5w-30 options will have an HTHS of around 3.0, plus or minus 0.1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Not useful at all

No, he gave the absolutely perfect, concise answer to the question. KV isn't terrible useful, and all the ILSAC 5w-30 options will have an HTHS of around 3.0, plus or minus 0.1.

Yep. HTHS is what matters. I’d venture that PP d1g2 and VME are at the low-end of 3.0 +-1

Last edited:
I agree. PP or Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 could liked be the lowest HTHS oils.

I think Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.2 and a KV of 11.4+. Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.3 with a KV of 11.7. Those two are higher ones for sure with a higher KV that does correlate with a bit of higher HTHS.

When the viscosity vs temperature is graphed for a couple of 5W20 and 5W30 oils, it shows that once the oil gets to about 55~60 C (130~140 F) that the viscosity difference isn't much between 5W20 and 5W30. 5W30 at 60C is about the same viscosity as 5W20 at 55C. And by the time the oil hits 100 C (212 F) the difference is even less. If the viscosity tracks within 5 C on upper end, the engine isn't going to know any difference. If you had a very efficient oil cooler that kept 5W20 at 95 C it would be like running 5W30 at 100 C in terms of operating viscosity.

So trying to home in on a "thin 5W30" is a waste of time IMO ... just run any 5W30 if that's what you want.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I always thought that Havoline 5W20 & 5W30 oils ran a bit thinner than many of their competitors.

I do have a bunch of Havoline in that grade. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
When the viscosity vs temperature is graphed for a couple of 5W20 and 5W30 oils, it shows that once the oil gets to about 55~60 C (130~140 F) that the viscosity difference isn't much between 5W20 and 5W30. 5W30 at 60C is about the same viscosity as 5W20 at 55C. And by the time the oil hits 100 C (212 F) the difference is even less. If the viscosity tracks within 5 C on upper end, the engine isn't going to know any difference. If you had a very efficient oil cooler that kept 5W20 at 95 C it would be like running 5W30 at 100 C in terms of operating viscosity.

So trying to home in on a "thin 5W30" is a waste of time IMO ... just run any 5W30 if that's what you want.

Wow they are close. Great graph. Thanks

Great way to present the facts, Zee! Maybe it's a great illustrations of how Ford made the 5W20 thing work. It shows the broad leeway we have as oil nerds for not grenading our engines when we "color outside the lines."

Anyway, it kinda highlights how overly pedantic we get of these things. Don't get me wrong, pedantism is fun sometimes if you don't take you particular flavor too seriously

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The new Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 is probably the thinnest 5W-30 I’ve seen. KV100 in the 9s I believe.
Edit: both PP d1g2 and Valvoline “Modern Engine” are 9.8.

I was going to mention the PP also, nice that it's quite a bit less expensive than the VME!

The obvious problem with the graph is that we are interested in the range where the viscosities are on the order of 10 and the y values go up to 550.
Either need to zoom in on the range of interest or use a log scale plot.

If I presented this at work in an attempt to show that things were all the same at 100C, people would walk out of my meeting.

Great way to present the facts, Zee! Maybe it's a great illustrations of how Ford made the 5W20 thing work. It shows the broad leeway we have as oil nerds for not grenading our engines when we "color outside the lines."

Anyway, it kinda highlights how overly pedantic we get of these things. Don't get me wrong, pedantism is fun sometimes if you don't take you particular flavor too seriously

I was thinking this as well and wonder what was the big push at Ford in 2016 to go up to 5W30 on the normally aspirated SD trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back